10 Best Charcoal Starters for Fast Ignition
Charcoal grills are a great past time and can even provide better tasting food when utilized properly. But we all know starting those charcoals can be a pesky business. That’s why you need to get the best charcoal chimney starters for those upcoming spring and summer grilling sessions.
We’ve analyzed models in the market in terms of their size, ease of use, safety, and effectiveness in order to provide you with a list of the top ten chimney charcoal starters. Let’s jump right in!
- 1 10 Best Charcoal Chimney Starters:
- 1.1 1. Weber 7429 Rapid Fire Chimney Starter
- 1.2 2. Weber 7447 Compact Rapidfire Chimney Starter
- 1.3 3. Kingsford Grilling BB0466 Deluxe BBQ Chimney Starter
- 1.4 4. Char-Broil Electric Charcoal Starter
- 1.5 5. JJGeorge Grill Torch Charcoal Starter
- 1.6 6. BBQ Dragon Charcoal Starter and Grill Lighter
- 1.7 7. GrillPro 39470 Chimney Charcoal Starter
- 1.8 8. Beau Jardin Charcoal Chimney Starter
- 1.9 9. Oklahoma Joe’s 9848125R04 Half-Time Charcoal Starter XL
- 1.10 10. HOMENOTE Rapid Charcoal Chimney Starter
- 2 Charcoal Starters FAQ
- 3 Conclusion
Our Top Recommended Charcoal Starters
- Our Rating
- Dimensions: 13″ x 7.5″ x 12″
Weight: 4.6 ounces
Ergonomic handle for comfortable use
- Our Rating
- Dimensions: 8″ x 5.75″ x 10.4″
Shipping Weight: 1.75 pounds
Durable metal construction
10 Best Charcoal Chimney Starters:
The first model in review is a large charcoal starter chimney from Weber. The Weber 7429 Rapid Fire Chimney Starter is the most well-built model on the market, and that’s no surprise coming from the grill experts at Weber. The unit is easy to handle and even easier to use.
- Comfortable handling thanks to the ergonomic handle ensures ease of use and, ultimately, safety of use
- Constructed from durable, long lasting metals that ensure a long life for the unit
- A few consumers note issues with the handle getting hot
This next Weber model is more of a mini charcoal chimney. It’s still wide at its chimney opening but this Weber 7447 Compact Rapidfire Chimney Starter is designed for charcoal grills on the smaller end. It’s equipped with a heat shield and ergonomic handle for simple and safe handling.
- The unit is compactly designed for use with smaller grills
- There is a heat shield in front of the handle to protect it from excessive heat
Landing at the threeth spot in the charcoal chimney starter reviews is the Kingsford Grilling BB0466 Deluxe BBQ Chimney Starter. This unit is your classic chimney charcoal starter with a heat shielded handle and lighting access holes on the bottom to ignite your kindling, whatever that may be.
- The handle is designed to stay cool so that safety of use is practically guaranteed
- The zinc steel construction ensures the chimney will last you quite a while
This next model is less of chimney model but it’s the best electric charcoal lighter you’ll find. This model plugs into an outlet and is one of the safer charcoal starters thanks to its lack of flames. This unit utilizes a metal loop that heats up and is placed on the charcoals to get them started.
- Requires no lighting of starter cubes or matches, etc. to heat the charcoals
- The unit is highly safe to use thanks to its lack of flame output
- Some consumers claim that the unit doesn’t necessarily heat coal piles in only a few minutes
This next model will interest the pyros among us. The JJGeorge Grill Torch Charcoal Starter is a great BBQ fire starter but isn’t a chimney. This model utilizes propane or MAP gas cylinders and a torch handle to directly light the charcoals and effectively starts the charcoal quicker than most models.
- Minimal charcoal sparking thanks to a lack of air blowing from the torch that many models have
- You can light the charcoals from roughy 20″ away thanks to the torch’s extended arm design
- The flame is, of course, only able to light small sections of the charcoal piles at once because of its targeted flame output
This next charcoal grill chimney is more of a fan than a lighter itself. The BBQ Dragon Charcoal Starter and Grill Lighter is an adjustable air bellowing device that keeps a constant airflow on the charcoals for expeditious charcoal lighting.
This unit is massively versatile as well, capable of being used in a plethora of fire starting activities.
- Allows for targeted bellowing of charcoals thanks to the highly adjustable, flexible neck
- The unit is highly versatile in almost any cooking, fire-starting situation, such as camping
- The unit is compatible with rechargeable batteries and can be charged with a micro-USB charger to save you time and cost on batteries
- The fan itself does nothing to light the charcoal, it simply fans them to encourage charcoal burning after being lit
This next barbecue coal fire starter can hold over two pounds of charcoal briquettes. The GrillPro 39470 Chimney Charcoal Starter is one of the larger capacity chimneys on the list and is constructed from durable metal and is also engineered with a heat shielded handle.
- Constructed with a heat shield to keep your hand safe while using the charcoal chimney
- The unit is purported to hold up to 4 pounds of charcoal when its capacity is maximized
The Beau Jardin Charcoal Chimney Starter is another compact charcoal chimney. It’s perfect for small to medium grills, but don’t let it fool you. This chimney can hold up to four pounds of charcoals simultaneously and have you ready to go in under 20 minutes.
- Holds four ponds of charcoal briquettes, which is among the highest capacity specification of any charcoal chimney on the market
- The unit is rust-resistant thanks to its zinc plating, which translates into a much longer life for the chimney
- A small group of consumers note that the unit has been delivered without all of its parts
The Oklahoma Joe’s 9848125R04 Half-Time Charcoal Starter XL is the only wide-mouthed grill chimney on the list. The wider chimney design allows for the charcoals to heat more evenly, reducing the worry that your bottom charcoals will burn out and ash before the top layers are prepared.
- The unit heats the coal more evenly thanks to its wider base, preventing uneven charcoal prepping
- Stainless steel construction allows the chimney to last for years
- Despite its cool-to-the-touch engineering, some consumers claim their handle has melted with use
The final barbecue chimney in review is the HOMENOTE Rapid Charcoal Chimney Starter. This is the only model on our list that comes with included accessories such as starter cubes, a portable air blower, and heat resistant mitts.
However, some consumers have their reservations about the heat resistance of the mitts. It’s also the only wooden handled model in review.
- The unit comes with multiple accessories for efficient and safe use of the charcoal starter chimney, something no other model can claim
- The starter cubes are all-natural, ensuring the safety of use for your charcoals that will cook your food
- Some claim the mitts aren’t that heat-resistant and can actually be dangerous because of false assumptions of safety
Charcoal Starters FAQ
The following is a list of FAQs regarding charcoal chimney starters:
How do charcoal chimney sizes effect the charcoal?
Depending on the height and width of the charcoal chimney, the charcoals will burn or ignite more or less evenly throughout.
For instance, the Oklahoma Joe’s model allows for all of the charcoal to get a relatively even burn so that you’re not worrying about your bottom charcoals ash-ing up before the top is ready.
In comparison, the taller, thinner chimneys tend to burn the bottom layers with much more intensity before the top layers can get going, meaning that your charcoals may start unevenly and will be prepared less uniformly.
Which model of charcoal starter is the most efficient at evenly burning/starting charcoals?
The most efficient charcoal starter model is likely the torch style from JJGeorge. This torch style starter allows you to ignite and get your charcoals started in a flash, but of course, you have to move the torch around the charcoals until they’re all started.
In that regard, they’re less efficient even though they ignite the charcoals faster. The Oklahoma Joe’s wide-mouthed model is most likely the best model for evenly burning/starting your charcoal as it’s the model best suited to provide flames to the entirety of the charcoal supply.
Why does zinc plating elongate the lifespan of chimney charcoal starters?
Any model that lists zinc plating or a zinc component to the steel construction is a winning model. This is because of zinc’s ability to block out oxygen and water from reaching the steel surface.
Therefore, any model with zinc components is the least likely to take on rust and degradation over time, thus, improving its lifespan immensely.
In conclusion, the Weber 7429 Rapid Fire Chimney Starter is the best model on the market, hands down. However, not everyone needs this size or necessarily wants this style.
For those looking for a different style, we suggest the JJGeorge torch as it’s the best model outside of the chimney style for starting your charcoals. For those looking for the most even charcoal starting for larger grill models, we recommend Oklahoma Joe’s model because of its wide-mouthed design.
No matter the model you’re interested in, be sure that it will cover your bases when you go to buy a charcoal chimney starter for your grill. Stop using lighter fluid and risking your health! Get your chimney charcoal starter today!