10 Best Chef Knives Under $100 in 2020
Have you ever tried to find a quality chef knife, only to discover that the most recommended knives cost hundreds of dollars? While having the right chef knife is essential to your kitchen, there is no need to pay outrageous prices to ensure that you have the best.
We have carefully examined the features, reputation among consumers, pros and cons of 10 chef knives. By reading through our recommendations, you will be able to identify the best chef knife under 100. Let’s get started with our top recommendations!
- 1 Our Recommended Chef Knives Under $100
- 2 Best Chef Knives Under $100 for the Money:
- 2.1 1. Imarku Chef Knife – Pro Kitchen Knife 8 Inch
- 2.2 2. ORBLUE 8 Inch Kitchen Chef’s Knife, Professional.
- 2.3 3. Wusthof 4862-7/20 Pro Cook´s knife, 8 Inch, Black
- 2.4 4. DALSTRONG Chef Knife – Gladiator Series – German HC Steel – 8″ (200mm)
- 2.5 5. Mercer Culinary Genesis Forged Chef’s Knife, 9 Inch
- 2.6 6. J.A. Henckels International Classic 10-Inch Chef’s Knife (10 inches)
- 2.7 7. Victorinox 10 Inch Swiss Classic Chef’s Knife
- 2.8 8. Shun Sora Chef’s Knife, 8 Inch, Cutlery Handcrafted in Japan, VB0706, Black”
- 2.9 9. Wusthof 4596-7/16 Cook’s Knife, 6 Inch, Black
- 2.10 10. Zelite Infinity Chef Knife 6 Inch – Alpha-Royal Series – Japanese AUS-10 Super Steel 67-Layer Damascus
- 3 Making the Decision
Our Recommended Chef Knives Under $100
If you are looking for a chef’s knife for under $100, our favorite one is the Imarku Chef Knife with Ergonomic Handle. This knife definitely gives the most impressive performance for its price. With a demonstrated hardness scale, a resistance to deteriorating, and a gorgeous design, it’s truly incredible that the knife can be purchased for less than $40.
Our second favorite chef knife under $100 is the ORBLUE 8 Inch Kitchen Chef’s Knife. This knife is the most comfortable of the brands we tried thanks to an increased emphasis on the ergonomic design. Its price is typically less than $28 and rarely needs sharpening.
The third top choice is the Wusthof 4862-7/20 Pro Cook´s knife. This knife is so sharp that you will be able to cut through cuts of meat that other knives cannot handle. It is also so sharp that you have to be careful not to touch the blade. Being able to buy this knife for under $50 is one of the best perks on this list.
Best Chef Knives Under $100 for the Money:
If you are looking for the best Japanese chef knife under 100 dollars, you already know enough about knives to understand that Japanese steel contributes to some of the most highly desired chef knives on the market.
With this Imarku chef knife, you will be receiving that level of quality in a knife that is one of our favorites due to its ability to perform a much greater number of functions than other chef knives.
- Priced to sell at under $40
- Effective at cutting, dicing, slicing, chopping and de-boning meat
- Should not be used for frozen foods
- Must be kept away from excessively hot foods or flame
Looking for high quality chef knives under $100 is not an easy task. But this Orblue chef knife quickly became one of our favorites thanks to its style and enhanced slicing ability.
- Can be purchased for under $30
- Sharpness lasts for months without needing to be sharpened again
- Rusts easily
- Steel handle frequently gets cold
Maybe you are not a professional chef, but still want the performance standards out of your knives that a restaurant chef would demand. If that is the case, this chef’s knife is our favorite commercial quality knife under $100.
We particularly liked the enhanced safety features and the ability of the knife to withstand rigorous cutting needs in the kitchen.
- Generally costs less than $50
- Can be used to disjoint large meat cuts
- Stamped blade must be sharpened more often than other types of blade
- Blade chips easily for some consumers
- Weight of more than 10 ounces may make it too heavy for some
Having an 8 inch chef’s knife in your kitchen gives you increased versatility in the types of foods you are able to effectively cut.
These highly efficient knives are greatly valued and finding the the best 8 inch chef knife under $100 can be tough. But this is one of our favorites due to both the price and workhorse ability to cut anything in the kitchen.
- Priced at under $70
- Can be used on both delicate and tough cuts
- Frequent use may cause discoloration of the blade
- Repeated use will cause knife to go dull quickly
When compiling a list of good chef knives under 100 dollars, we could not leave off this comfortable Mercer Culinary Genesis knife. The affordability of the product does not interfere with its ability to deliver a razor sharp cut through meat, fruit, vegetables and fish.
- Certified by NSF for meeting standards of safety, efficiency and quality
- Can be purchased for less than $40
- Cannot be washed in the dishwasher
- Not resistant to rust
If you are looking for quality chef knives that have larger blades, this knife is one of the best choices you can make. Although the blade comes form Germany, the knife is made in Spain and quickly became one of our favorite knives for multipurpose chopping.
- Comes sharp right out of the box
- Price is typically less than $70
- Rivets on handle may cut hand
- Weight of 13.8 ounces may be too heavy for some consumers
When we were looking for a really nice chef knife under 100 dollars, our standards included knives that had a contemporary look and were lightweight. This knife fits both requirements and is also appropriate for both professional and amateur chefs.
- Priced at less than $55
- Can slice multiple vegetables at once
- Must be washed by hand
- Handle appears to look “cheap” to some consumers
Our search for great chef knives led us to this Shun Sora knife which was handcrafted with the ideals of “Shun” Japanese food in mind.
“Shun” describes local food that is the most flavorful and freshest. Food this important requires a special kind of knife that delivers a contemporary performance in both look and cutting skill.
- Purchase price is typically less than $80
- Weighs less than 7 ounces and will feel light regardless of how long you are in the kitchen
- Should only be hand-washed and never placed in a dishwasher
- Blade and handle are separate pieces of metal
This unique chef’s knife is one of our favorites thanks to its bold design. But it is really the ability to provide extra sharpness when slicing through our favorite foods that made us place it in our top ten list.
There is no meat or vegetable that will be too big of a challenge for this particular chef’s knife.
- Balanced weight make cutting thicker foods an easier task
- Excels at cutting delicate foods like herbs
- Performs multiple jobs, such as dicing, mincing and chopping
- Cannot be put in the dishwasher
- May be priced at more than $100
Have you been in the market for an all-purpose chef’s knife that will allow you to prepare a variety of different foods? When looking for the best chefs knife under 100 dollars, this Zelite knife quickly became one of our favorites due to its ability to slice through both soft and hard foods with ease.
- Smooth handle for easy gripping and greater control
- Arrives out of the box already sharp
- Blade can chip after a year of continual use
- Not actually a “Japanese knife,” as the blade is Japanese steel but the knife is made in China
Making the Decision
When picking the best chef knife under 100 dollars, our top pick is the Imarku Chef Knife – Pro Kitchen Knife 8 Inch Chefs knife High Carbon German Stainless Steel Sharp paring knife with Ergonomic Handle. It gives the best performance for the most affordable price.
If you can afford to spend a little bit more than $30 for a chef’s knife, the NSF certified Wusthof 4862-7/20 Pro Cook´s knife, 8 Inch, Black is less than $50 and offers performance comparable to that of a commercial knife in a professional kitchen.
But when trying to decide what the best chef knife under 100 dollars is for you, you will ultimately have to make that decision. Some things you should keep in mind include:
- What types of cutting is the knife suitable for doing? Can it it only cut, or can it also chop and mince?
- What types of foods will the knife allow you to cut? Some chef’s knives cut through meat easily but will stall at being asked to cut through a butternut squash.
- How stylish do you need the knife to be in order to fit your personal aesthetic? Are you planning on showing it off and need that unique design quality?
Once you know exactly the type of chef’s knife you are looking for, you will be able to decide which knife on our list is right for you. Be honest about your cutting needs, and go buy the chef’s knife that fits your lifestyle best.