10 Best Copper BBQ Grill Mats of 2020
Grilling is something that many love to do but isn’t free of annoyances. One of the biggest is cleaning the grill itself, a chore that can take lots of time and effort. Gunk and grime will quickly cake onto the grill’s surface, along with seepage at the bottom. Even if you’ve just purchased a new grill, cooking can make it appear aged after just one day of use. How can this issue be prevented? A copper grill mat is the best solution.
They’re basically sheets consisting of a non-toxic copper and fiberglass combination that you can place over the grill itself, blocking grease and oil runoff from the grill and its bottom.
Most are also suitable for use in stoves. Below are ten of the best copper grill mat products found online, picked for size, durability, and temperature limit. One is chosen as the most recommended at the bottom. So without further delay, let’s begin!
- 1 Our Recommended Copper Grill Mats
- 2 10 Best Copper Grill Mats on the Market:
- 2.1 1. YOSHI GRILL & BAKE MATS, Copper
- 2.2 2. Aoocan Heavy Duty Copper BBQ Grill Mat
- 2.3 3. Looch Copper Grill Mat
- 2.4 4. Smaid – Copper Grill Mat for Outdoor Gas Grill
- 2.5 5. atiyoc Copper Grill Mats for Charcoal and Electric
- 2.6 6. SKYBD Copper Grill Mats for Gas, Charcoal
- 2.7 7. Copper Chef Grill and Bake Mats
- 2.8 8. Premium Large Copper Grill and Bake Mats for Grilling
- 2.9 9. GrillShield – 2 Extra Large Copper Grill and Bake Mats
- 2.10 10. Premium Large Copper Grill and Bake Mats
- 3 Education
- 4 Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Copper Grill Mat
- 5 Copper Grill Mat FAQ
- 6 Conclusion
Our Recommended Copper Grill Mats
- Our Rating:
- Set: 2 Pack
Measure: 15.75" x 13"
Withstand heat: up to 500 degrees
Can cut to fit
- Our Rating:
- Set: 5 Pack
Measure: 15.75" x 13"
Withstand heat: up to 500 degrees
Wash it clean water and dry it in sun.
Can cut to fit
10 Best Copper Grill Mats on the Market:
This Yoshi Grill and Bake Mats are sold in a pack of two, each measuring 15.75 x 13 inches. Both are strong and can handle high temperatures well. With some mats, warping and melting may occur when the temp isn’t at the product’s threshold but very close.
Fortunately, that’s not the case here. The mats will work as expected, no matter if you’re in the 50 degrees below its 500 degree max.
- Easy to cut into the shape of any grill (provided that the right cutting tools are available)
- Doesn’t stick to the grill, even when the temperature subsides
- Grease doesn’t absorb into the mat
- Will leave visible grill marks that are difficult to get off unless scrubbed by hand
The Aoocan Copper Grill Mat is much like the previous product, and just as strong. But one quality featured there that isn’t on the other brand is quantity.
With these, you get five sheets instead of one. If you want, try them out for your baking needs, or even as a bottom tray for food that you’re cooking in an oven. But grilling is where this product really shines.
- No uneven cooking along the edges, the temperature stay constant regardless of where the meat is positioned on the sheet
- Doesn’t corrode or rust
- Although there are five sheets provided, one should last for multiple grills before needing to be discarded
- May leave permanent stains and residue on the bottom side of the sheet
The Looch Copper Grill Mat looks the same as the standard in the category but is specifically aimed at cooking foods that are known for sticking. As you may already know, sticking food that’s cooking can ruin it entirely. But with these sheets, you won’t ever encounter such an issue.
- No peeling for flaking, even after one sheet has been repeatedly used
- Most dirt will come off easily with a scouring powder or industrial cleaner
- Keeps the flavor in whatever is cooked on the plat instead of it dripping into the bottom
- Not suitable for high temperature propane grills that exceed temperatures above 500 degrees Fahrenheit
The Smaid are copper grill mats measuring 15.75 x 13 inches each. They’re useful for people that want mats which are easy to clean and manage when the grilling is over. In fact, a lot of the debris should come off just by popping in your dishwasher.
But it’s still a good idea to get them a scrub in the sink, for the best result. Don’t worry about corrosion or rusting, nothing will age the sheets so long as they remain dry when in storage.
- Most gunk will fall off during cleaning, particularly if allowed to soak in hot water
- Safe for use on gas, electric, and fire grills
- Will not melt or warp at high temperatures
- Scratches and dents will show up after the first time that one of the sheets are used
The Atiyoc Copper Grill Mats are sold as a set of four and hold up well after several uses. One big thing to notice is that mats are available for purchase in two different colors, black and copper.
This might be useful in situations where presentation is just as important as the cooking itself, since it’s harder to see grill stains on a black mat. But even for ordinary use, the black color might be more appealing to some.
- Has two colors to choose from (copper or black)
- Odor free; no smells will linger of the mats after being washed
- Alternatively, works well for cooking for on stoves (so long as the temp stay below 500 degrees)
- Using metal, steel, or other dense utensil is not recommended due to the risk of scratching
The Skybd Copper Grill Mat are barbecue grill mats useful for electric and gas grills. If you’ve looked at some of the other products shown so far, you’ll notice that a common trend among their manufacturers is that each cannot hold up to a temperature that’s greater than 500 degrees.
With this product, you get an extra 100 degrees to raise it to. That means you can cook foods as high as 600 degrees without damaging the mat. And for that, the grill is highly recommended.
- A great way to keep cooking food from dripping further into a grill (when not directly on top of it)
- Can be used hundreds of times before being discarded
- Handles temperature up to 600 degrees without warping/melting
- Is essentially the same as heavy-duty aluminum foil
Sometimes, even the most durable cooking mats cannot be used for foods that are liable to stick. The Copper Chef are copper grill bbq mat pieces designed to handle such items and have them come out looking great.
This means that all seafood, veggies, and even eggs can be cooked on top of these mats and nothing will cling to its surface in the process.
- Recommended for cooking items that stick easily, such as seafood
- Once unrolled, stays flat unless bent by force
- No absorption of sauces or grease
- Easy to puncture
The Premium Large Copper Grill Mats are sized for grills and baking. Place them in your oven and your food (and the mats) won’t be damaged.
But if you’re strictly in need of mats for grilling, then know that the product comes with a handy oil brush. Use this to gently move away grease from the areas where charcoals are burning.
- Sold with an oil brush that’s useful for removing grease away from the charcoals
- Suitable for using as a stove and over liner
- Not too susceptible to scratching
- Leaves grill marks, even at low cooking temperatures
The GrillShield are copper foil sheets for cooking, great for people that have large grills that won’t require you to do any cutting. Each piece is measured 17 x 23 inches and handles most meats and vegetables will, without any annoying sticking.
- Ideal for large grills due to the size
- Retains its shape for the entirety of the grilling session
- Grime won’t cake to the bottom when the temperature stays below the 500-degree threshold
- Unless scrubbed while still a bit warm, getting burn stains off the mat could be a pain
The Premium Large Copper Grill is the final product but definitely not the worst. You can choose your favorite foods on them, either in the oven or on your outdoor grill.
For people using small grills, know that these are especially easy to cut. They also won’t lose their shape after cleaning.
- Cutting is easy to do, even to the shape of circular grills
- Mats are thick and won’t puncture when exposed to short bouts of flame
- No marked fires on top of the mats from oil
- Must be soaked prior to cleaning to prevent damage
Have you ever used a cooking mat to grill food before? If not, learn how to use grill mats. You’ve probably noticed people placing aluminum foil over grills that aren’t theirs, such as in public parks.
Aluminum is fine but comes with many issues, one of them being warping during cooking. They can only be used once and nearly impossible to prevent bending.
Copper grill mats have none of these issues. Most consist of fiberglass, silicone, and in this case, a small layer of copper.
While all of this might seem a little odd when describing, such mats are proven to be perfectly safe to cooking. The surface is non-toxic and won’t transfer into your food.
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Copper Grill Mat
Before choosing a new grill mat, you’ll want to measure off the dimensions of your grill. Just take it out of the grill body and run a tape measure across the grill piece, jotting down the numbers that you come up with.
The aim is to do as less cutting is as possible. However, most copper grill mats are pre-cut, and built to the standard size of most home grills.
Copper Grill Mat FAQ
Are Copper Grill Mats Toxic to Cook On?
No, it’s safe to use grill mats since the materials that are used to make them are capable of being used at high temperatures. The standard for most products is 500 degrees, though there are some that can withstand even greater heat.
Can Copper Grill Mats be Used Indoors?
Yes, you can place them in your oven as an alternative to baking sheets. They’re also useful for preventing the residue from baking into the oven’s bottom. To do this, place it on the grill directly beneath the one that you’re cooking on.
What is the Best Way to Clean Cooking Mats?
When you’re ready to clean up your mats, remember that your dishwasher probably won’t be of much help. Prepare some soapy water first, making sure that it’s warm.
Submerge the mats into the water and wait at least 20-30 minute before taking out, longer if the mats are really dirty. Use a sponge or cloth to clean out the rest, preferably with a scouring powder.
Which Copper Grill Mat do you think is the best copper grill mat? Out of the ten products shown, the Yoshi Grill & Bake Mats earned the highest recommendation, thanks in part to their ease of preparation, size, and nonstick surface.
But given the variety of grills, it might be more suitable for you to try one of the other’s shown. There’s no wrong pick for you to make here, so find your favorite and buy before your next big grill!