10 Best Damascus Chef Knives of 2020 Professional Kitchen Knives
A good Damascus steel chef knife is a chef’s best friend in the kitchen. The durable blades and ultra thin slicing that typically accompanies Damascus steel make them among the best types of knife for any level chef. So, which model is the best Damascus chef knife on the market?
Using our five years of experience in commercial kitchens, we’ve narrowed down a list of ten of the most ideal Damascus steel knives available. We’ve arrived with our ordered list based on differences in steel type, handle type, and overall build among other characteristics. Let’s dive right in!
- 1 10 Top Rated Damascus Chef Knife for the Money:
- 1.1 1. Zelite Infinity Damascus Japanese Chef Knife 8-Inch
- 1.2 2. Dalstrong Damascus Chefs Knife-Shogun Series X Gyuto
- 1.3 3. Dalstrong Damascus Chef Knife-Shogun Series Gyuto
- 1.4 4. TUO Damascus Chefs Knife
- 1.5 5. Shun Cutlery Premier 10 Chefs Knife
- 1.6 6. Yoshihiro Cutlery VG10 16 Layer Hammered Damascus Gyuto Japanese Chefs Knife
- 1.7 7. MOSFiATA 8 Super Sharp Professional Chefs Knife with Finger Guard and Knife Sharpener
- 1.8 8. Daddy Chef Damascus Blade Chef Knife 8-Inch
- 1.9 9. ALLWIN-HOUSEWARE W Professional Damascus Chefs Knife
- 1.10 10. MAD SHARK Damascus Chef Knife
- 2 Conclusion
Our top Recommended Damascus Chef Knives:
Before we indulge you with the full list, let’s cover our top three recommendations.
- Our top recommendation is the Zelite Infinity Chef Knife (8 Inch) thanks to its military-grade handle and its 67-layer AUS-10 steel blade; both characteristics help it boast the most durable build on the market.
- Our next top pick is the Dalstrong Chef’s Knife – Shogun Series X Gyuto. Also built from premium steel, this knife comes with a sheath for protective keeping and also sports a non-slip grip providing a safe operating handle.
- Our final top recommendation is the Dalstrong Chef Knife – Shogun Series Gyuto. This is a larger version of the aforementioned Shogun Series X Gyuto with a nine and a half-inch blade. It also has a 100% satisfaction, money-back guarantee.
Those top three are our best suggestions from the full list below. Let’s check that out!
10 Top Rated Damascus Chef Knife for the Money:
The best eight inch Damascus chef knife is the top recommended Zelite Infinity Chef Knife (8 Inch). This knife has a beautifully crafted, military grade G10 handle that is ergonomic and comfortable to hold. It also sports a 12º blade edge on each side for long-term sharpness.
- 67 layer, high carbon Japanese steel ensures that the blade won’t chip or break and will retain its edge
- 100% money back guarantee allows you to decide you either love it or would like your money back (pressure-free shopping)
- Tough to find a sheath or edge guard for this knife
In conclusion, the Zelite Infinity Chef Knife (8 Inch) is the best Damascus knife on the market and comes at an affordable price at that.
The next product is the Dalstrong Chef’s Knife – Shogun Series X Gyuto and is among the best Japanese chef knives. The AUS-10 steel cutting core is heat treated and has a Rockwell hardness of 62+. This non-slip grip Dalstrong knife also sports.
- Includes a sheath for safe keeping and safe storing when not in use
- Non-slip grip helps avoid nasty injuries while cooking
- Some consumers report receiving a different knife than advertised
In conclusion, the Dalstrong Chef’s Knife – Shogun Series X Gyuto is another fantastic Damascus steel knife for any chef and its included sheath provides safety and is protective of the blade.
Next up is another Dalstrong knife and as we’ve seen, they’re among the best professional chef knives. The Dalstrong Chef Knife – Shogun Series Gyuto is very similar to the previously reviewed Dalstrong knife but its blade is longer at nine and a half inches.
This knife is also nitrogen cooled for enhanced hardness, whereby the cooling alters the microstructure of the steel.
- Includes a sheath for safe keeping and safe storing when not in use
- Strong, 67 layer steel blade is resistant to chipping and breaking
- Claims to be AUS-10V steel but AUS-10V is a non-existent steel description. AUS-10 is the Japanese steel being used, with AUS-10V being an advertising lure
In conclusion, the Dalstrong Chef Knife – Shogun Series Gyuto is our third top recommendation on the list and has a money back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.
The fourth heavy duty chef knife in review is the TUO Damascus Chef’s Knife. As with many of the blades on the list, this blade is eight inches in length.
It also sports X50Cr15MoV German stainless steel with a Rockwell hardness of 56±2. The cutting core is comprised of AUS-10 steel and is 67 layers strong.
- Ergonomic Pakkawood handle is easy to handle and comfortable to use (not to mention its aesthetic beauty)
- Some consumers claim the knife has chipped on them within the first couple of uses
In conclusion, the TUO Damascus Chef’s Knife is the top Damascus knife for those looking out for their budget. It provides incredible quality at a more than reasonable price.
Shun Cutlery, producer of various cool chef knives, provides us with the next knife in review. The Shun Cutlery Premier 10” Chef’s Knife sports a hammered Tsuchime finish and is hand-sharpened by craftsmen. The handle is made from Pakkawood and has a full composite tang for increased stability.
- Full composite tang, Pakkawood handle is beautiful and allows for a comfortable and strong hold on the blade
- Long, 10″ blade allows you to fillet and slice large slabs of meat and other foods easier than an 8″ blade
- Some reports note chipped blades after use on bone and heavier foods
This Shun Cutlery Premier 10” Chef’s Knife is a beautiful knife and comes from the long-standing tradition of Japanese handcrafted knives.
At the seventh spot on the list is another Japanese eight inch chef knife, the Yoshihiro Cutlery Gyuto Japanese Chef’s Knife.
This Yoshihiro knife is eight and a quarter inches in length and has a spine thickness of three millimeters. The knife, comprised of 16-layer hammered outer steel, sports a full tang Mahogany wood handle.
- The premium, Mahogany handle is aesthetically beautiful and sports a full tang for durability
- Consumers claim that this knife may not actually be Japanese and that it breaks easily
In conclusion, the Yoshihiro Cutlery Gyuto Japanese Chef’s Knife is a great option for those who love the aesthetic and craftsmanship of their chefs knives with its beautiful Mahogany handle.
This next model certainly falls into the category of high quality chef knives and is one of the best deals on the list.
The MOSFiATA 8″ Super Sharp Professional Chef’s Knife comes with a finger guard and a knife sharpener to bolster its value. It’s comprised of German stainless steel with a Rockwell hardness of 56+.
- The Micarta handle minimizes tension in the wrists reliving some stress and protecting your wrists long-term
- Comes with a finger guard, blade guard, and sharpener so you have everything you need to maintain the knife and use it safely
- Noted as NOT Damascus steel
The MOSFiATA 8″ Super Sharp Professional Chef’s Knife is a good chef knife for your standard at home or beginner chef. Its full package provides a value unmatched on this list.
The ninth Damascus steel chef knife on the list is the Daddy Chef Chef Knife 8-Inch. Made from 67-layer, Japanese VG10, premium steel, it’s sharpened via the Honbazuke Method. It also comes in a luxury packaging box for aesthetic storage or even giving the knife as a gift.
- The sandal wood handle is moisture resistant so you don’t have to worry about slipping and causing injury
The Daddy Chef Chef Knife 8-Inch is yet another quality, fairly priced knife and comes with a beautiful, wooden packaging box. Its moisture resistant handle is a unique feature as well and helps make this knife a bit safer.
The final model in this Damascus steel chef knife review is the ALLWIN-HOUSEWARE W Professional Damascus Chef’s Knife.
This knife is also comprised of a 67-layer, Japanese VG10, super steel core and clocks in at 62 on the Rockwell hardness scale. Its 12º edge on both sides of the knife allows for it to maintain sharpness up to six months.
- The 12º edge angle on the blade allows for sharpness to last up to six months on one sharpening
- Comes with a gift box for giving those buying the knife as a gift
- Multiple consumers note their knives coming with broken tips
The ALLWIN-HOUSEWARE W Professional Damascus Chef’s Knife is a great final knife to round out the list. It’s made from quality steel and comes at a very fair price.
Other Knives to Consider:
MAD SHARK, make of good Japanese knives, provides the next model in review. The MAD SHARK Damascus Chef Knife has a military grade, G10 black handle that provides high stability and crack prevention among other effects.
The 67-layer, premium, composite steel blade is also hand sharpened by craftsmen.
- Hand sharpened blade maintains the edge and provides ultra thin slicing while maintaining its resilience and strength
- Money back guarantee allows you to shop this knife free of pressure from the product failing
- Consumers note the knife arriving dull (in direct contradiction with its advertised description)
The MAD SHARK Damascus Chef Knife is yet another beautiful Damascus knife for your consideration. The craftsmanship of this knife is sure to lure the detail observant users.
If we were to give you a suggestion as to which model is the best Damascus chef knife, we would have to point you towards the Zelite Infinity Chef Knife (8 Inch). Made from AUS-10 super steel, this knife provides the best quality at a decent price.
If you’re not convinced by the Zelite knife, take a solid look at either of the DALSTRONG knives reviewed (eight and 10 inch). These models are of near equal quality.
However, everyone’s taste is different and that’s why we’ve compiled this list full of recommendations. Perhaps you have your eye on another knife not mentioned here.
Regardless of the knives you’re considering, you’re now prepared to make a conscious buying decision for your next kitchen favorite. So, what are you waiting for? Get your new chef’s knife today.