The 10 Best Electric Smoker in 2020
You have enjoyed delicious smoked meat at your friend’s homes and at restaurants. Now, you want to make delicious smoked meat yourself. To do that, you need the best electric smoker on the market.
We know that you don’t have time to test every product and read all of the electric smoker reviews on sites like Amazon and other places.
So what we have done is create a guide that compiles our personal experience with the experience and reviews of other individuals to give you the definitive electric smoker buying guide.
After reading this guide, you will have all the information you need to make a conscientious decision and to purchase the absolute best electric smoker for your needs. So let’s get started.
- 1 Our Recommended Electric Smokers
- 2 List of 13 Best Electric Smoker on the Market Today:
- 2.1 1. Smoke Hollow Electric Smoker
- 2.2 2. Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
- 2.3 3. Char-Broil Analog Electric Smoker
- 2.4 4. Masterbuilt MB20071619 Mes 140s Digital Electric Smoker, 40” Black + Window
- 2.5 5. Char-Broil Vertical Smoker
- 2.6 6. The Little Chef
- 2.7 7. Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker 40”
- 2.8 8. Masterbuilt MB20072618 1200W 40″ Digital Electric Smoker
- 2.9 9. Old Smokey Electric Smoker
- 2.10 10. Smoke Hollow Electric Smoker
- 2.11 11. Char-Broil Deluxe Digital Electric Smoker
- 2.12 12. Bradley Smokers Original Smoker
- 2.13 13. Masterbuilt 20070213 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker
- 3 Advantages and Disadvantages of Electric Smokers
- 4 Things To Consider When Purchasing An Electric Smoker
- 5 Top 3 Electric Smoker Brands
- 6 How To Use an Electric Smoker
- 7 Compact Electric Smoker
- 8 Indoor Electric Smoker or Outdoor Electric Smoker
- 9 Best Cheap Electric Smoker
- 10 Best Electric Meat Smoker
- 11 Smoked Pork Butt Recipe
- 12 Making The Decision
Our Recommended Electric Smokers
- Our Rating
- Fully-insulated smoker body
Heating Element (Watt): 800
Size (in): 18.5x18.2x33.4
- Our Rating
- Digital panel controls on/off, temperature
Heating Element (Watt): 800
Size (in): 19.9x20.5x33.3
List of 13 Best Electric Smoker on the Market Today:
When talking about the best electric smokers, it is important to realize that what is best for one person is not necessarily best for another. For my money, the best overall electric smoker is:
The Smoke Hollow Electric Smoker is one of the best outdoor electric smoker options. This unit has a digital control panel. This allows you to quickly turn the unit off and on. This element also allows you to easily monitor the cooking time and temperature.
The body of the smoker is fully insulated. This ensures temperature consistency. It also keeps the smoke inside the chamber so that you are getting the full cooking power and flavor of the wood chips.
You can control how much smoke is cooking your food. You can accomplish this by adjusting the air damper. If you want to add more moisture to your meats, the removable water bowl is easy to fill.
This unit is easy to clean and maintain. The drip pan slides out so that you can easily pour out the grease in between uses.
- The unit heats up quickly
- It is simple to control the temperature
- The inside is spacious and has sufficient insulation
- The heater element may fail prematurely
This smoker provides consistent cooking so that all spots on your meat are the same temperature. It is easy to clean the unit and the drip pan comes out so that you can quickly dump it. You also have full control over the smoke level.
The Masterbuilt Electric Smoker is one of the best insulated electric smoker choices. This smoker has a digital control panel. This allows you to turn the unit on and off, monitor the time and keep an eye on the temperature.
The four racks are chrome-coated so that they are easy to clean. This also ensures greater durability so that they last. You can load the wood chips without needing to open the door to the smoker. This keeps the smoke inside throughout the duration of the cooking.
The smoker body is fully insulated. This makes it easier to maintain a consistent temperature when you are cooking. You get even more consistent smoking due to the integrated thermostat temperature control.
- The door seal is strong so that smoke cannot escape
- You can add more smoke chips without losing any heat
- It maintains a consistent temperature
- The heating element could cycle more often
It is easy to turn this smoker on and off. You can control the smoke to your specifications due to the adjustable air damper. It is also easy to get the perfect temperature for smoking.
The Char-Broil Analog Electric Smoker is one of the best budget electric smoker options. The three cooking grates allow you to stack several foods for cooking at the same time.
The wood chip box has a large capacity. This makes it easy to cook for hours without needing to refill the smoke chips. On the door is a temperature gauge so that you can monitor the internal temperature easily.
This smoker has a water pan made from aluminized steel. This helps to keep the meats juicy even with slow cooking. You can remove the drip tray to clean it easily.
The heating element is 1,200 watts. This ensures durability and temperature consistency. The cooking chamber is insulated and features a heavy-duty door.
- It only takes 16 screws to assemble this smoker
- The temperature maintains well
- You do not have to open the door to add more smoke chips
- The cooking coil is smaller than comparable models
This is one of the best compact electric smoker choices. It has a double-walled insulated construction and a temperature gauge on the door. The cooking grates are chrome-plated for durability and easy cleaning.
The Masterbuilt 20075315 Front Controller Smoker with Viewing Window and RF Remote Control, 40-Inch has a unique distinction among reviews of electric smokers because it is one of the only ones to be referred to multiple times as a beast. This is thanks in part to its game-changing design, useful features, and state-of-the-art technology.
With a large cooking space of more than 975 in.², there are very few things that you cannot cook in the smoker. Four chrome-coated racks, built-in RF remote control, and a built-in meat probe make sure that every piece of meat you put in there comes out exactly the way you want it to taste.
- Large Cooking Space of More Than 975 In.²
- Four Adjustable Racks
- 1200 W built-in heating unit and a meat probe to guarantee the temperature of the meat
- Fully insulated with little to no smoke loss
- Wheels make it easy to move around
- Easy to find replacement parts and requires little maintenance
- The front controller is not waterproof
- Cleanup is not easy
- Condensation can make glass difficult to see through
It’s easy to move, it’s easy to use, and the end product it produces is excellent.
Whether you are looking to cook pork, chicken, seafood, or vegetables, the amazing aroma that stems from your Masterbuilt 20075315 Front Controller Smoker is sure to put a smile on your guest’s faces.
With more than 975 in.² of cooking space, a smooth operating wood chip loading system, and four cooking racks, you are able to perfectly smoke enough food to feed your family, friends, and invitees. The unit only needs a little bit of assembly out-of-the-box.
Thanks to its 1200 W electric heating unit, this device can reach up to 350°F. It produces enough heat to even smoke poultry. The front glass lets you look inside the smoker to see what is going on. It’s a nice feature, but it does require you to do a little cleanup.
This product is one of the best on the market at this price range. There are a lot of good reasons to buy it if it is within your budget. It is a hassle-free
What are the best electric smokers? Ones that are easy to operate and leave you with a good tasting piece of meat. With that as criteria, the Char-Broil Vertical Smoker certainly meets the qualifications for being a good smoker.
This is the electric smoker that has changed many people’s opinion about electric smokers for the better. It’s really simple to use, simply clean and does not require the same attention that a wood-burning or a charcoal-burning smoker needs.
- Maintains an Even Temperature. Regardless of the recipe you try or the meat you are cooking, the best results come from a smoker that keeps an even temperature. This product excels at this. Its temperature gauge is a convenient extra feature.
- You Do Not Need to Monitor It. With the way the smoker is designed, you can check the water or wood without needing to disturb or upset the internal temperature.
- Easy to Use. Simply set the dial to the temperature you want, add your wood chips, add your meat, and that’s just about all you need to do.
- Its simplistic design is functional as opposed to aesthetically pleasing.
- If left outdoors under the rain, it will rust.
- The chip pan needs to be right on the burner or it will not smoke.
- Leaks smoke
Although it requires less work, it still leaves you with the same delicious, deep smoky taste you have come to expect from a gas, wood, or charcoal model. It is not the absolute best smoker out there, but for what it is designed to do, it is impressive.
The Char-Broil Vertical Smoker is a great way for you to smoke different types of food. It has a large enough smoking chamber to allow you to smoke bigger meat chunks.
The three adjustable cast iron cooking grates allow you to cook different types of meat at the same time. The 1500 W heating element and front-mounted temperature gauge guarantee that the heat stays constant.
This unit does exactly what it is designed to do. It is not complicated, it is easy to use, and it will give you a solid flavor. There are some issues with smoke leaking out of the unit, but in most cases, it’s not enough to affect the end flavor of your product. You might have a little bit longer cooking times, but that’s about it.
All in all, this is a solid unit that is good for the occasional smoker or someone who is looking to figure out if smoking is right for them.
With the ability to cook up to 25 pounds of food, The Smokehouse Little Chef is a front-loading smoker that is worth looking at.
It’s preset to work at 165°F. And it’s easy to operate thanks to four chrome-plated grills that you can load and unload just as easily as you would your oven at home. The drip tray at the bottom makes it easy to clean this unit.
When you get it, it is fully assembled and ready to go. It even comes with a bag of hickory wood flavored chips, so that you can use it almost immediately.
- Super Easy to Operate. The operation and cleaning of this unit is very straightforward. You can even take the drip tray and stick it in your dishwasher. That is how easy it is to clean.
- Lightweight. The unit is made out of aluminum. It’s light and weighs right around 15 pounds.
- Easy to Transport. It’s got a very nice handle and rear wheels. They are smooth and easily support the smoker’s weight.
- Since this is a lightweight unit, it is not designed for large-scale barbecue cooking. It just can’t handle it.
- No Temperature Controls. There is no way to adjust to the temperature, so there are no speeding things up. This device is preset at 165°F.
- Affected by the Weather. The unit is made from aluminum. It is very thin. Because of this, it can be a challenge to keep the temperature constant on cold days.
This is a simpler unit that is designed to be used by the occasional smoker at home. There are no controls because the temperature is preset. At 165°, you have no choice but to smoke your meat low and slow.
The Little Chef is a front-loading electric smoker that will let you smoke 25 pounds of meat. You don’t need to worry about the coals or fire. It is completely self-contained.
The device comes complete with a recipe book, an instruction book, and a bag of wood chunks to get you started smoking hickory flavored meat. The smoker is designed to be used outdoors and does not need to be assembled.
A Little Chef is an awesome appliance. It is extremely popular. But what you have to remember is that it has limitations. The reasons why people like it is because it’s cheap, it’s lightweight, and it’s easy to use.
During winter months, it does not make the best hot smoker, but it is an excellent cold smoker for cheese and things you want to smoke but not cook.
This electric smoker is designed for individuals who like their smokers to be high-tech. The integrated Bluetooth allows you to use your handheld device as a control. You have complete and total control over the quality of the meat produced in the palm of your hands.
This device is among the best rated electric smokers. Its four coated chrome racks provide you more than 970 in.² of cooking space. The 1200 W heating unit guarantees that even poultry comes out delicious and well cooked. The LED control panel and meat thermometer are designed to keep the temperature consistent throughout.
- Bluetooth Integrated. The ability to use Bluetooth to monitor and control the smoker anywhere in your home is a definite plus.
- Large Cooking Space. The 975 in.² cooking space is enough to prepare just about any cut of meat.
- You Need a Smart Phone. If you do not have a smart Bluetooth device, you need to purchase one in order to use the smoker. For many people, that is the antithesis of what smoking meat is all about.
This device makes it easy to smoke meat. The use of technology makes smoking meat smart. From your smart device, you can turn the smoker on and off, look at the temperature of your meat, operate the food light, and produce an overall good piece of meat.
With more than 970 in.² of cooking space and four racks, you can cook multiple pieces of meat at the same time. This is not a competition-size smoker, but it is large enough for you to prepare meat for your family or for a small to medium-sized barbecue.
If you are a purist and you like the smoke, the smell, and the heat of a traditional wood or charcoal smoker, this device is not right for you. However, if you’re looking for something that’s easy to operate, consistent, and that will provide you with delicious smoking meat, you’re going to love this unit.
This is an electric smoker that is going to give you bang for your buck. With 721 in.² of space, you can make enough food to feed your entire block. This electric smoker allows you to use wood chips, so that taste you get is genuine, it is delicious, and it is smoky.
- Solid Construction. The smoker boasts full foam insulation. The temperature stays constant throughout. Chrome smoking racks shed heat quicker than stainless steel. This means the cooking racks do not get so hot that they negatively affect your meat.
- Uses Wood Chips. Not every electric smoker allows you to use wood chips. With this one, you can throw about four cups of wood chips into the smoker, giving your food a rustic flavor.
- Easy to Transport. It’s got a very nice handle and rear wheels. They are smooth and easily support to the smoker’s weight.
- Digital Control Accuracy. If I was going to pick on one thing about this product, it would have to be that the digital controls are somewhat lacking. They don’t always give you an accurate temperature reading. And for some reason, the digital controls are made from flimsy parts that do not do justice to the overall solid construction of the smoker.
The additional controls allow you to keep tabs on how your meat is progressing, so you don’t have to worry about ending up with a dry end product.
The majority of electric meat smoker reviews agree that this electric smoker is the best electric smoker for beginners and professionals. It’s easy to use. You just plug it in, set the digital controls, and let it work. This product makes smoking a delicious chunk of meat easy without the hassle of charcoal or propane.
The Masterbuilt 20077615 really gives you the best of both worlds. You have the convenience of digital, with the old-fashioned taste that comes from using wood chips.
It’s temperature control is excellent, but the digital controls can be faulty. However, if you figure out how to compensate for this, you can definitely end up getting a nice chunk of smoked meat.
When reading best electric smokers reviews, it’s likely you will see the Old Smokey Electric Smoker pop up more than once. It is a very simple drum shape, flat-topped cooker.
Its base supports a powerful electric heating element. It’s tight-fitting top prevents ventilation and allows the juices to drop back on top of the food, helping to keep it moist and delicious. It is the perfect low and slow BBQ smoker.
- It’s Simple to Use. It really cannot get any easier than using this unit. First, you put in your wood chips, then you add meat, you put the lid on, set the temperature, and come back when the meat is done.
- Portable. Thanks to its relatively small size, you can take it with you wherever you go. As long as you have an electric outlet, delicious smoked meat is only a few hours away.
- Awkward. Although it is easy to use, any product that requires you to load it from the top down is going to be awkward to load and unload.
- A Great Cooker/An Average Smoker. Since it is a closed system, not allowing any ventilation in or out, it’s easy for the unit to reach high temperatures. This is great when you’re trying to cook meat, but it’s not what you want what you’re trying to get that slow and low flavor that comes from smoking.
The flat-topped design and closed ventilation system are really what gives this unit its power. The meat has a smoke flavor, but it also retains its juices.
Equipped with two cooking racks, a drip can, carrying handles, and made from corrosion-resistant aluminum steel, this simple yet powerful unit is exactly what you need to get you smoking meat fast.
If anything, Old Smokey does what it says and produces good results. It shows that a smoker does not have to be complicated in order to be good. While you would not use this smoker for a competition or a large gathering, it is the perfect smoker for a small party or to prepare some delicious meat for friends and family
Fluctuating temperatures cannot affect the Smoke Hollow electric smoker. This is a powerfully constructed smoker built from solid welded steel. It is completely insulated, allowing you to make some of the most delicious smoked meat, poultry, and fish imaginable.
Although this is an entry-level BBQ smoker, electric smoker reviews overwhelmingly hail this as a quality product. Its powerful 1500 W heating element makes enough smoke to add an intense flavor to your meat.
Three temperature settings and an external temperature gauge keep your smoker at a consistent temperature.
- Sturdy Construction. This is a robust device. It has double steel walls. It is not going to fall apart on you anytime soon.
- Exceptional Insulation. In addition to the two steel walls, the smoker has added insulation. Outside temperatures do not have an effect on the temperature inside your smoker.
- Simple to Use. Its use is pretty straightforward. You can add any wood chips you want.
- It Leaks Grease. Grease leaks out of the cooker because the door does not seal shut. There is a juice catching system, but it just doesn’t work.
- It Leaks Smoke. It’s not the biggest deal in the world, but since the door seals are not the greatest, it does leak smoke.
- You Need to Watch It. The wood burner goes through wood chips very fast. You need to monitor it every 30 minutes. This is definitely not a device that you can turn on and just let it go.
If you are just getting into smoking and are looking for something that is going to give you good taste, relatively easy of use, and produce a consistent product, you’re going to like the Smoke Hollow 3016SE.
It comes equipped with three cooking grids that you can use for around five pounds of meat. This is a great device for small barbecues or a large family.
For what it is, an entry-level product, the smoker is great. What makes it stand out is how well it can hold onto its temperature, even if it’s used outdoors during the winter cold. It is versatile. And, best of all, it produces a decent piece of meat.
Ask any pitmaster and they will tell you that barbecue cannot be rushed. Be that as it may, the Char-Broil Deluxe Digital Electric Smoker sure makes smoking easier. This device, which is among the best rated electric smokers, is about the size of a small refrigerator.
Set up is relatively easy. You just need to connect a few internal parts. Four racks hold the food that you’re going to smoke, and the clear glass window and digital panel top make viewing and controlling the temperature of your meat a breeze.
- Integrated Meat Temperature Probe. The smart integrated meat temperature probe guarantees that your meat stays at a consistent temperature.
- Hassle-free Smoke Box. With a full box of wood chips, this device will smoke for over six hours at 225°F. You do not need to interrupt most cooking cycles to reload the wood chips.
- Hassle-free Smoke Box. With a full box of wood chips, this device will smoke for over six hours at 225°F. You do not need to interrupt most cooking cycles to reload the wood chips.
- Large Customizable Interior. You have 725 in.² of space that is divided between four racks.
- Difficulty Holding the Temperature. It can be difficult to bring this device up to the required temperature. It is difficult to keep the temperature from fluctuating.
- Failed heating element. A common thread in reviews for this product is that it works for the first few times, and then the heating element fails or does not get up to the necessary temperature.
The Char-Broil Deluxe Digital Electric Smoker is a decent size smoker that allows you to cook for your family or a medium-sized group of people. It has air dampers, multiple cooking racks, and 725 in.² of cooking space.
It’s unique design allows you to get the most out of your wood chips. You only need to fill the wood chip box one time. The device is mobile thanks to its integrated wheels and handle. It has a large grease tray that makes cleaning the device simple.
If you are looking for something that’s going to be easy to use and straightforward, this is a good device. While its simplicity makes it good for the novice, the problems with the heating element make it frustrating to use.
There are definitely some good things about this device. When it works, it really works. Everyone else is left feeling frustrated as they are battling to get a good smoked piece of meat.
While it lacks some of the digital bells and whistles of later models, the Bradley Smokers Original Smoker more than makes up for this with its solid construction, reliable temperature control, and overall ability to produce a delicious piece of meat.
Relying on disc-shaped bisquettes, the Bradley model allows you to precisely control the amount of smoke you want to create. It boasts a lot of unique features that put it above more expensive brands.
- Versatility. It’s hot/cold smoking options makes it one of the more versatile models we will review. It is very easy to use, and even a beginner can produce a good piece of meat.
- Predictable. Its predictability is one of the reasons why many people view this as the best digital smoker you can buy. It exemplifies slow and low. You get reliable results, which is a rarity when barbecue cooking.
- Practicality. The interior and exterior are attractive and functional. It has an overall compact design with a larger than expected load capacity.
- Customer Support: Bradley has built a name for itself by providing excellent customer support to both professionals and rookies. You can find advice, recipes, and ideas as well as technical support easily.
- Insulation Issues. This is especially problematic when you are smoking. The insulation is not sufficient to combat the effects of the external temperature.
- Using Bisquettes. There are two problems. First, you have to order the bisquettes separately from the product. Second, if you do not have at least three of them in the vertical hopper, it doesn’t work right.
Its ability to provide both hot and cold smoking, due to its duo electric element design, put it in a category by itself.
With a stainless steel interior, redesigned rack supports, and improved electronic components, the Bradley Original Smoker is a great entry in the electric smoker world.
It has large front feet that give it more support and stability. It is easy to clean and perform preventive maintenance. The four removal racks and easy to use temperature controls allow you to maintain a consistent amount of smoke and temperature.
It is a good product for those looking to cook at home or to prepare large quantities of meats, vegetables, and cheese for friends and family.
Overall, this is a good product. When you buy it, make sure you get all the extras you need because it does not come with everything to get started right out of the box. For example, if you don’t get the bisquettes, you’re not smoking anything.
The Masterbuilt 20070213 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker is specially designed to help you produce the best food. It’s easy to use and takes advantage of specialized technology, including a blue LED display.
Insulation is no issue thanks to the ingenious door locking design and inner liner that prevent smoke and heat from escaping. The side wood chip loader makes loading your wood chips easy, and its intuitive design makes cleaning up a breeze.
- Cooking Space. The 730 in.² of cooking space divided between four chrome coated grills gives you enough space to cook multiple types of food at the same time.
- Blue LED Display. This display makes it easier for you to read cooking times and temperatures, even when you are cooking outdoors under direct sunlight.
- Control Panel. The control panel is easy to use and accurately allows you to adjust the temperature of your smoker from 100° to 275°F.
- Drip Pan. The new design of the drip pan on this model makes it easier for you to clean it and monitor it.
- Wood Chip Loading System. If you need to open the main unit to add more wood chips, you can mess up your meat. That is not a problem with this device thanks to its side loading chamber.
- This is a good product. However, it could be improved by having more wheels and a remote control meat probe. Having a window would be nice and a larger water pan would be a plus as well.
This is arguably the best electric smoker for the money. It delivers classic smokehouse flavor while taking advantage of modern technologies. The blue LED display is a big plus, especially if you are smoking in direct sunlight.
The 700 in.² of cooking space is on par with what you would expect from electronic smokers for sale of the same size. The unique locking door mechanism, along with the inner liner, helps maintain consistent heat throughout.
This is a good digital electric smoker. It has a smooth operating wood chip loader, which makes it easy for you to control the smoke. It holds its temperature well, and the temperature is easy to control.
This is not a device that will allow you to cook for a large barbecue, but it will definitely make some delicious food for your family or a small group of friends.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Electric Smokers
Before we talk about some of the top rated electric smokers, it is good to discuss some of the pros and cons of this type of smoker.
- They are easy to light. Electric smokers use a heating element. You flip a switch, load your wood chips, and you are good to go.
- Predictability. Electric smokers are designed to reach a set temperature and maintain that temperature. They produce a predictable amount of smoke.
- Simple Maintenance. As long as you keep it indoors, cleaning up after using an electric smoker is a piece of cake. You wipe it down, use an appropriate cleaner, and you are set.
- Relatively Small. If you are looking to have a large picnic or feed people at a large restaurant, an electric smoker may be too small for your needs.
- Electronic Failure. Even the top electric smokers are relatively simple. That being said, a simple electronic failure can mean is that your smoker is unusable until you get it repaired.
- A Less Robust Smoke Profile. When compared to charcoal or wood fed smokers, electric smokers do not provide as a strong or as robust of a smoke flavor.
A good electric smokers review would be replete without briefly mentioning the other types of smokers that are available.
Gas smokers make great meat. They run off propane similar to a gas grill. Like an electric smoker, you set the temperature and walk away.
You can run out of fuel midway through your smoke. If you are not attentive to this fact, you could end up ruining a good piece of meat. Parts can break easily, but just about every hardware store has replacement parts.
A propane smoker can be used wherever you can take your propane tank. And in a crunch, they can be used as a flexible oven.
Pellet Smokers are a relative newcomer in the smoking world, but, boy, have they garnered a lot of attention. They use an auger system that feeds compressed wood pellets into a little stove.
A thermostat connected to the auger helps to stabilize the temperature. A plus with this product is that all of your food is cooked using wood.
The downside is that since there are mechanical parts, they can break, jam, and fail. The auger needs electricity to run. So you are limited as to where you can take the product. Having your auger break in the middle of a large smoke out can be depressing.
A purist will tell you that the best flavor you can get from a smoker comes from a charcoal model. They do produce a flavor that is a lot stronger than what is created by using gas or electricity.
However, starting a charcoal fire is a pain. This adds at least 45 minutes to the startup process.
A good pitmaster can keep the grill at a consistent temperature with charcoal. But it is not easy, and the constant maintenance of the fire can be quite frustrating, especially if you’re cooking meat for 15 hours. That being said, the flavor can’t be beaten.
A good electric smokers review would be replete without briefly mentioning the other types of smokers that are available.
Check out this smoker’s review to get a better idea of the types of smokers out there.
Things To Consider When Purchasing An Electric Smoker
You are looking at an electric smoker review, but how do you know if a smoker is right for you? Here are some things to consider:
Electric smokers will range from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars. If you are not sure if you are going to do a lot of smoking, get something small and see if you like it, and then you can opt to invest in something more expensive later.
The best electric smokers use thermostats, whereas lower quality ones will use rheostats. Make sure that the smoker you buy has the best electronic elements for the best results.
Trays And Racks
Electric smokers come with the option of either grill trays, or they will have hollow trays. It doesn’t matter the type of meat you want to smoke, go for the grill. The grill will give you the best flavor, and it will give you that coveted smoke ring, which just makes your meat beautiful to look at.
Electric smokers are a lot safer than traditional smokers. Traditional smokers require fire and fuel to burn for hours on end. If something knocks a traditional smoker over, the fire could spread, causing untold damage.
Cheaper to Use
Electric smokers are inexpensive to use. With a traditional smoker, you pay for wood, propane, or charcoal. With an electric model, you just plug it in. And they really don’t use a lot of power, so they end up costing you less in the long run.
Top 3 Electric Smoker Brands
MasterBuilt has more than four decades of ingenuity behind them. When you look at the MasterBuilt electric smoker reviews, it is clear to see that they create a high-quality product designed with the end-user in mind.
Starting in 1973 with a propane fish cooker, MasterBuilt has taken advantage of advances in technology to make their products better. A great example of that is the MasterBuilt 40 Electric Smoker with Window.
One of the things that MasterBuilt customers like about their products, as seen when you look at the MasterBuilt 30 Electric Smoker Reviews, is how this company is not afraid to take advantage of technologies that people do not always associate with cooking. For example, they use Bluetooth. They also have smart technology that allows you to actually load recipes from the Internet and radiofrequency or Bluetooth remote controls.
You can be confident that when you purchase MasterBuilt electric smokers, and especially a MasterBuilt Pro electric smoker, that you are getting the highest quality product. With a MasterBuilt digital electric smoker, even a novice feels like a pro.
The sense of family and curiosity that led to the creation of the Bradley Smokers is also what has kept this product and the company behind it leading the industry.
When you read a Bradley digital smoker review, you can see that the end-user understands that Bradley smokers are designed by individuals who are smokers themselves.
One of the company’s founders set the goal of creating a smoker that produces a clean, continuous smoke without needing constant attention.
To this end, the founders tried everything, including burning sawdust, large chunks of wood, and a wide variety of other materials. Every step of the way, they encountered problems, and so they ruled these materials out.
The end conclusion was that using electricity was the best way to make fantastic smoke and food that was nothing short of amazing.
When you read Bradley electric smoker reviews, you can see that customers appreciate the time and effort that went into producing this amazing product.
With a strong reputation extending more than three decades, Brinkmann has constantly refined the products they offer to their customers.
A quick glance at Brinkmann electric smoker reviews shows that customers appreciate the dedication to detail this company offers.
Their goal is to create a good product and they continually work on it, offering a refined look and better features to their customers.
They want their customers to see their products as offering good value and a wide selection. They want to leave their customers satisfied.
Brinkmann gourmet electric smoker reviews attest to the fact that this company has hit its mark. Their motto is, “Working with you for over 30 years.”
How To Use an Electric Smoker
The directions you are going to follow to use a smoker will vary depending on the smoker you use, but these are some general guidelines.
- First, you will need to season the electric smoker. To do this, coat the racks with cooking oil, and let it run for a couple of hours.
- Next, prepare the meat you are going to cook.
- If your smoker has a water receptacle, add water, and then turn the unit on.
- Add your wood chips to the wood receptacle. Make sure that the chips you use are designed for food.
- Set the temperature of your smoker, and wait for it to reach the desired temperature. Never smoke your meat until the correct temperature is obtained.
- Add your meat, and smoke it until it is tender. You may need to check the device periodically to make sure that it is maintaining a decent temperature and that your meat is cooking well.
Compact Electric Smoker
Most electric smokers are designed for homes that have a lot of outdoor space. But even if you don’t have a lot of room, there are some really nice compact electric smokers you could use.
Bradley 2 Rack Compact Smoker
Bradley has a two rack smoker product. It can sit on a countertop and still has enough rack space for food to feed your entire family. It looks like a toaster oven or a countertop rotisserie.
Obviously, the racks are nowhere near as big as the racks on Bradley’s main smokers. On one rack, you might get four chicken breasts or 10 Italian sausages. If you just use one rack, you can actually smoke an entire chicken.
The smokers use bisquettes that are made from finely chipped press wood. One brisket burns at a time, and each brisket burns for about 30 minutes.
Since it is a digital smoker, you can set the temperature from between 160 to 330°F. The small device is designed for indoor use. If you use it outdoors, you need to cover it up.
All in all, this is the best small electric smoker for individuals who are looking to smoke smaller amounts of meat.
Indoor Electric Smoker or Outdoor Electric Smoker
When deciding whether to purchase an indoor or outdoor electric smoker, it is good to look at the pros and cons of each.
Indoor smokers are usually a lot smaller than their outdoor counterparts. They can be used on a counter in your kitchen. They produce minimal amounts of smoke and can leave you with a delicious piece of meat.
Conversely, an outdoor smoker is large, some ranging in excess of 60 inches. Their benefit is that they can cook a lot of meat, enough for a large family or even for a decent size get-together. They do use more energy, but they provide your meat with a flavor you will not get from an indoor model.
Indoor smokers can be taken anywhere. You can pack it up and bring it with you on vacation because of its relatively small size. Some are designed to work in your kitchen and also function as an outdoor smoker on your grill.
Outdoor smokers are usually not designed to be portable. Yet, they are often made of sturdier material. The best backyard smoker will outlast an indoor smoker because of its durability.
Most indoor smokers are a fraction of the cost of their outdoor counterparts. However, when you read electric outdoor grill reviews and compare them with indoor models, you see that most outdoor units have more features and allow you to have greater control over how your meat is cooked.
Best Cheap Electric Smoker
Has digital controls and an optional window. It has 730 in.² capacity and uses an 800 W heating element.
It has a digital readout and timer controls. The thermostat ranges from 100°F to 275°. This means it gets hot enough for you to smoke a wide variety of meats and cheeses. This flexibility is what you would expect from the best electric smoker under 300 dollars.
Best Electric Meat Smoker
The reason why I like this for smoking meat is that the range is extremely versatile. It can be used for slow barbecue cooking and for slow roasting.
I can get two racks of ribs on the food trays. I can even do an entire turkey.
What I also like about it is that it is reliable. It’s not quick, but when I smoke, I want it to be slow and low. It gives reliable results, and that’s something that for me when cooking meat, is a rarity.
When I look at electric meat smoker reviews for this product, it seems like other users agree with me when it comes to the way this one smokes the meat.
Of course, if you are going to have a good smoker, then you want the best electric smoker recipes. One recipe that I love is for smoked pork butt. Here’s the recipe:
Smoked Pork Butt Recipe
- 7 pounds fresh pork butt roast
- 2 tablespoons ground New Mexico Chile powder
- 4 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- If desired, soak the pork butt in a brine solution for at least 4 hours or overnight. You should do this covered and in the refrigerator.
- Preheat an outdoor smoker for 200 to 225 degrees F (95 to 110 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, chili powder, and any additional seasonings to your taste.
- Apply this liberally to the meat and rub it in with your fingers. Place a roasting rack in a drip pan and lay the meat on the rack.
- Smoke at 200 to 225 degrees F (95 to 110 degrees C) for 6 to 18 hours, or until internal pork temperature reaches 145 degrees F (63 degrees C).
Making The Decision
The goal of this review was to give you enough information so that you can make an informed decision and purchase the best electric smoker.
If you saw a grill that really caught your eye, you are free to do more research to answer any questions that might have not been included in this guide.
In this guide, we have highlighted the value of the Bradley Smoker Original Smoker twice. It is just that good. It is going to give you a quality piece of meat, it’s easy to use, it keeps a consistent temperature, and it is easy to clean. Hands-down, in our opinion, it is one of the best products for your smoking needs.
Of course, the product isn’t perfect, so we’ve highlighted some of its flaws. What we really want to is for you to make your own decision and get a product that you are going to be happy with.
If you are looking at purchasing a smoker, we encourage you to purchase it online. It is a lot cheaper, and you are able to read electric smoker reviews from people who purchased the product you are considering.
Well, we have done our due diligence and now it’s up to you. Find the smoker you like, buy it, and send us some pictures of the results.