8 Best Dehydrators for Making Jerky Beef, Fruits, Herbs and Vegetables
Dehydrating your own foods is the best way to create delicious snacks and foods without all of the preservatives and added junk that processed food uses. Having one of these dehydrating units in your house allows you to transform your diet with ease. The best food dehydrators for jerky will dehydrate just about any food with stunning success.
Using our five years of experience with dehydrated foods, we’ve compiled a list of the best food dehydrators by comparing characteristics such as power, number of trays, design, etc. So let’s jump right in!
- 1 8 Top-Rated Food Dehydrators for Making Jerky:
- 1.1 1. NESCO FD-75A Snackmaster Pro Food Dehydrator
- 1.2 2. Presto 06300 Dehydro Electric Food Dehydrator
- 1.3 3. COSORI Premium Food Dehydrator Machine
- 1.4 4. Gourmia GFD1650 Premium Electric Food Dehydrator Machine
- 1.5 5. NutriChef Food Dehydrator Machine
- 1.6 6. COSORI Food Dehydrator Machine
- 1.7 7. Hamilton Beach 32100A Digital Food Dehydrator
- 1.8 8. EVERUS Food Dehydrator Machine
- 2 Factors to Consider When Buying Food Dehydrators for Jerky
- 3 Conclusion
Our Top Recommended Food Dehydrators
- Our Rating
- Temperatures: 95º-160º F
Powerful Top Mounted Fan (600 W)
Comes with 5 trays
Dimensions: 13.75″ x 22.13″ x 13.87″
- Our Rating
- Temperature 165°F
Bottom-mounted fan (600 W)
4-tray system for dehydrating foods
Dimensions: 14.5″ x 15″ x 6.25″
8 Top-Rated Food Dehydrators for Making Jerky:
The best dehydrator for jerky and fruit is the NESCO FD-75A, Snackmaster Pro Food Dehydrator. This dehydrator comes with five trays and is expandable up to 12 trays. The unit has a simple turn knob control button and the temperature range is between 95 and 160ºF.
- No flavor mixing and no need to rotate trays thanks to its patented Converga-Flow system
- The unit is expandable beyond five trays, allowing you to dehydrate multiple foods at once
- Despite being advertised as made in the USA, some consumers note the item states “Made in China”
The next best, cheap dehydrator for jerky is the Presto 06300 Dehydro Electric Food Dehydrator. This unit is conveniently designed to be collapsible and so it stores easily. It also has a see through lid so that you can keep an eye on your food without disturbing the process.
- Very easy to store thanks to its collapsibility
- The top cover is see through, making keeping an eye on your dehydrating foods simple
- There is no On/Off button, the unit is on once plugged in
The third meat dehydrator for jerky in the reviews is the COSORI Premium Food Dehydrator Machine. This bad boy has six stainless steel trays that are adjustable and removable.
The unit appears as a small oven and is built in a heavy-duty fashion. The liners are entirely BPA-free and the unit is ETL listed and FDA approved.
- Heavy-duty, stainless steel machine is highly durable and operates without any intervention
- The stainless steel trays are dishwasher safe, making cleanup a breeze
- Does not expand beyond six trays
The jerky dehydrator reviews carry on with the fourth model in review, the Gourmia GFD1650 Premium Electric Food Dehydrator Machine.
This model is somewhat similar to the COSORI model in that it appears as a small oven and has six adjustable, removable trays. The unit also sports 360º airflow circulation.
- The unit can be set for up to 19.5 hours, allowing you to set and leave the dehydrator for long term dehydrating sessions
- The unit is ETL certified and is completely safe for use with any food you wish to dehydrate
- No indicative temperature guide for dehydration lengths of varying foods
The fifth best home food dehydrator for jerky is the NutriChef Food Dehydrator Machine. The NutriChef Food Dehydrator Machine has five removable, stackable trays and is tested to guarantee increased shelf life with your foods. The temperature control system can reach a ceiling of 180ºF.
- The trays are removable for using them as drying racks when not in use with the dehydrator
- Easy, one-button operation is the simplest way to get your jerky or other foods started
- A few consumers find that the dehydration process takes much longer than they had hoped
The COSORI Food Dehydrator Machine is a good jerky dehydrator and comes in at sixth on the list. The COSORI dehydrator sports five BPA-free trays and operates at less than 48dB. The unit also comes with a mesh screen, fruit roll sheet, manual, and a recipe set.
- Dehydration trays are completely BPA-free, ensuring the safety of use with all of your foods
- Noise level remains at or below 48dB, the typical noise level experienced in libraries
- Some consumers note cleaning the unit is very difficult
The next unit in review is the Hamilton Beach 32100A Digital Food Dehydrator, a high quality food dehydrator. This Hamilton Beach unit has a 48 hour timer with auto shutoff, ensuring safety of use. The adjustable thermostat ranges from 100 – 160ºF and the unit deploys continuous airflow for even drying.
- Comes with a fine-mesh sheet for drying herbs or the likes. Also comes with a solid sheet for things like fruit rolls
- Continuous airflow ensures the even drying of each level
- Some consumers claim failure after only a few uses
The final model in the jerky machine reviews is the EVERUS Food Dehydrator Machine. This model has a temperature range of 96 – 158ºF, which is on par with the industry standard. The unit has five BPA-free trays and also comes with a two year quality warranty.
- Trays are completely BPA-free and safe for all foods
- The unit comes with a recipe book for ideas and delicious dehydrated food recipes
- Many consumers report receiving broken units upon delivery
Factors to Consider When Buying Food Dehydrators for Jerky
The following is a list of factors to consider when buying a good food dehydrator for beef jerky or other foods:
The first factor to consider when buying a food dehydrator is the power of the unit.
Some units on the list draw 600 W and dehydrate your food with ease. Others have lower power specs but still dehydrate pretty well.
As a general rule, if you plan to do a lot of meat dehydration, or jerky making, you should stick to the higher wattage models.
They’ll be better at dehydrating your meats in a timely fashion. However, for those interested in dehydrating fruits and chips, lower wattage models should get the job done.
The layout of the dehydrator is the next factor to consider before buying one. Some models are designed similar to counter-top ovens, or large toasters, meaning they are larger, squared, and have hinged doors.
There are also plastic models that fall into a plethora of designs. The type of dehydrator you choose, regarding layout, is entirely your own personal choice and you’ll likely depend on your kitchen space, etc. to make a decision.
The mode of interfacing with the unit also falls into its design, so be sure to keep an eye on the method by which the unit is operated and temperatures set.
The final factor to consider before buying a dehydrator is the price.
There are models that are nearly twice as much as others on this list, but they, of course, provide more power and likely better dehydration.
However, that doesn’t mean that cheaper priced units can’t accomplish the job.
If you can afford to buy a little higher, we’d suggest it. If not, don’t sweat it, the other options dehydrate food and make jerky just fine.
We also have reviewed the best toaster ovens for under $100. Those budget-friendly ovens do not need much space in your kitchen.
In conclusion, the best jerky dehydrator is the NESCO Snackmaster Pro. It’s extremely simple to operate and has an extremely powerful top mounted fan that runs at 2,100 RPM. There are plenty of models to consider, however, if this unit isn’t your cup of tea. The COSORI Premium unit is another fantastic option to consider, albeit a bit pricier.
Food dehydrators are perfect for creating delicious snacks in a healthy way. There’s no need for preservatives or added junk in your diet with these amazing dehydrators. Not to mention the money you’ll save yourself! So, get your new food dehydrator today!