Best Offset Smokers Under $1,000, $500 and even $300 Reviews & Guide for 2020
Delicious food, laughter, relaxation and making memories are what summer is made of. The best offset smokers cover the biggest element of this because they ensure that you have incredible food for yourself and all of your summer party guests.
We spent countless hours scouring the internet to create the most comprehensive offset smoker reviews. By the time you finish each review, it will be clear which offset smoker meets all of your needs so that you can start enjoying amazing meals and parties.
Take advantage of our extensive experience and expertise about smokers. We not only provide you with detailed reviews but also with pertinent information about how to choose the best smoker.
Explore the types of foods that you can cook, the types of offset smokers, what to look for and the pros and cons so that you make the best choice.
- 1 Our Recommended Offset Smoreks
- 2 List of Best Offset Smokers Under $1,000 on the Market Today:
- 3 List of Best Offset Smokers Under $500 on the Market Today:
- 4 List of Best Budget Offset Smokers – Under $300 on the Market Today:
- 5 Tips on Choosing the Best Offset Smoker
- 6 The Features to Consider
- 7 Factors to Consider When Buying an Offset Smoker
- 8 Advantages of Offset Smokers
- 9 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Buying an Offset Smoker
- 10 Summary
Our Recommended Offset Smoreks
- Our Rating
- 1,060 total Square inch cooking surface
Heavy-gauge all-steel construction, porcelain-coated cooking grates.
- Our Rating
- 1,060 square inches of cooking space
Solid construction & built to last
We have a list of the best offset smokers. Consider your preferences and compare these to the features and other information about these smokers to pick the one that will serve you best.
List of Best Offset Smokers Under $1,000 on the Market Today:
The Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Reverse Flow Smoker is the best offset reverse flow smoker. It has a large cooking surface so that you can smoke large quantities of meat at the same time. Use the four grates to place different types of meat separately when you are smoking them.
The shell of the smoker is heavy-gauge steel. This ensures that it can hold up to regular use. The grates have a porcelain coating to help control the heat and protect them against damage during long smoking sessions.
This smoker makes it easy to control the smoke and heat levels. Use the thermometer on the lid of this smoker to make sure that you are always within the proper temperature range.
- The build is very heavy duty
- You can use it for large cuts of meat
- The food cooks evenly no matter how much you put inside of it
- The box may crack and blister prematurely
With four grates and a large cooking area, you can create entire meals for the whole cookout at the same time. The smokestack and baffles are versatile, letting you choose how to best use them. This is the best offset smoker for the money.
The Outdoor Leisure Smoke Hollow Barrel Smoker has durable materials that make up its construction. You can leave it outside and use it often without having to worry about it falling apart or rusting prematurely.
The wheels make this smoker portable. It is relatively lightweight for its size. These characteristics make it easy to move around your outdoor space.
There is a table on the front of the smoker. This is large enough to hold the foods that you pull out of the smoker and some basic tools.
- You can assemble this smoker easily
- The thermometer is accurate
- This smoker works for almost all types of meat
- It also works for making fish and chicken
- The box is smaller compared to similar models
- You may need to replace some of the screws prematurely
This smoker has a large cooking area. The grates have a porcelain coating, allowing for even cooking and durability. This smoker’s barrel ensures adequate smoke for a distinctive flavor.
List of Best Offset Smokers Under $500 on the Market Today:
The Oklahoma Joe’s Charcoal and Gas Smoker Combo features an electronic ignition, three gas burners, and a gas side burner. The offset firebox is made from durable materials and it is large, allowing you to cook large amounts of food at one time.
Use the storage shelf to hold food and cooking utensils when you are working with your smoker. The smoking chamber has several dampers so that you have optimal control over the level of heat and smoke that you are using.
You do not have to lift the lid to access the firebox to prevent an interruption in cooking. Stoke the fire and allow for free-flowing of smoke and heat due to the firebox access door.
- The thermometer is very accurate
- This smoker can accommodate a whole turkey
- Maintenance is easy
- It resists rust
- The flare guards are flimsier compared to those on similar smokers
- The paint may flake off prematurely
This is a very good offset smoker. It has a large cooking surface area and multiple grates so that you can cook a variety of meats separately but during a single session.
The Dyna-Glo Heavy-Duty Vertical Offset Smoker is among the best offset smokers under $500. It has a durable shell and the different components utilize strong materials. You can use this smoker over the long-term without having to worry about it failing prematurely.
This smoker has multiple cooking grates and a large cooking surface area. You can make enough meat for an entire party at once. It is also possible to smoke enough meat for a week’s worth of meals in a single session.
The cooking grates are chrome plated. This ensures even cooking. This material is also very easy to clean and maintain. The lid grip remains cool when you are cooking for added safety.
- The design of the smoker is excellent
- It works well for very thick cuts of meat
- This smoker makes the temperature easy to manage
- No smoke leaks out during use
- The steel was thinner than comparable models
- The cover is not included
This smoker allows for easy temperature control due to its Smoke Zone feature on the temperature gauge. The oversized wheels let you move it around your outdoor space with ease.
List of Best Budget Offset Smokers – Under $300 on the Market Today:
The Dyna-Glo D Charcoal Offset Smoker is the best vertical offset smoker option because it is versatile and easy to use. This smoker minimizes heat loss due to its dual door design. You do not have to open the main door to add more wood chips so that heat is unable to escape.
The burner is heavy-duty cast iron. This ensures optimal durability and that the ignition will be reliable and fast. It uses an electronic pulse ignition system.
Due to the large size of the cooking surface, you can prepare up to 100 pounds of meat in one smoking session. There is also plenty of space for vegetables and other foods that you want to smoke with your meats.
- It is easy to get the smoker started
- You can add fuel quickly
- This smoker is easy to clean in between smoking sessions
- You can use wood or charcoal as fuel
- The cover is sold separately
- It may rust prematurely without regular use of a cover
This is one of the best cheap offset smokers. It is ideal for beginners since it is easy to use and assemble. You can be confident that all of the meat that you smoke will be even and have deep flavor.
The Char-Griller Smokin’ Pro Charcoal Grill uses heavy-gauge steel with a powder coating and cast iron as its primary materials. This ensures that it is durable and able to withstand a lot of use.
There are two wheels that allow you to move the smoker around. Due to their size, you can even push this smoker through the grass without any issues.
The charcoal drawers are removable. This feature makes it simple to dump old charcoal, clean out the drawers and refill them with fresh charcoal before your next smoking session.
The grates are cast iron to ensure even heating. You also do not have to worry about any meat sticking to the grates no matter how long you are cooking for.
- The cast iron grates ensure a strong and good flavor
- Loading the charcoal is easy
- You can monitor the temperature due to the thermostat on the lid
- The paint may chip prematurely
This is the best offset smoker for beginners. It is easy to assemble, and the usage instructions are simple and to the point. Once you receive this smoker, you can start using it within hours.
The Royal Gourmet Offset Smoker and Charcoal Grill are easy to put together. The large cooking surface allows you to make large meals in a short amount of time.
The warming rack measures 179 square feet, allowing you to keep many items warm and ready for people to serve themselves.
It is easy to add more charcoal to this grill. Just use the side door so that you do not lose smoke and heat when it is time to add more fuel to the smoker.
The lid is heavy and keeps the smoke inside the smoker. It also features a professional thermometer so that you can easily smoke items at the ideal temperature. Adjust the damper to make sure that you have the proper airflow for the meats that you are cooking.
- You can load up to five pounds of charcoal into the smoker at the same time
- It has a bottom shelf and a side table for storage and working space
- The handle is spring touch and it does not get too hot when you are using the smoker
- You can learn how to use this smoker within minutes
- The paint may chip prematurely
- It may rust prematurely if you do not use a cover
This heavy-duty offset smoker is easy to assemble and use. It has a relatively large cooking space, making it an ideal choice for a party. This smoker also has several features that make smoking easy.
The Chair-Broil Offset Smoker is one of the best offset smokers for cooking for your family and friends. It features a three-piece smoking chamber so that you can maintain a consistent temperature and eliminate air loss easily.
The cooking grates ensure even cooking. They are also easy to clean once you are done cooking. The lid has a temperature gauge on it so that you always know what temperature you using to smoke meats.
The firebox features a cleanout door. Just open it and dump the ask. You can hose down the outer shell of the smoker for easy maintenance.
- The side shelf can hold a lot of food
- You can also use this smoker as a charcoal grill
- The different chambers let you cook multiple meats at the same time
- It has a very large smoker capacity
- The recommended charcoal amount may cause your food to cook too hot
- The charbroil side could be better
This is one of the best affordable offset smoker choices. It is easy to clean and use. You can learn how to operate it within an hour so that you do not have to wait to start using it.
The Dyna-Glo Signature Series Barrel Charcoal Grill offers a total of 730 square inches of cooking space. This is split between the primary and the offset cooking areas.
The analog temperature gauge makes it easy to ensure that you are cooking at a consistent temperature.
This smoker is portable and easy to move around. The steel wheels are oversized so that you can move it around different terrain types, including grass and mud.
The steel construction ensures that you can clean this smoker easily. It will also resist high smoking temperatures so that you do not have to worry about issues like warping.
- The handle remains cool to the touch
- The grates cook meats evenly
- It is easy to remove and clean the ash pan
- The welding may fail prematurely
This offset smoker is high in quality. It will last through numerous smoking sessions without experiencing premature damage by sitting outside. It has a relatively large cooking capacity, allowing you to prepare meals for your family, or for small parties.
Tips on Choosing the Best Offset Smoker
As you explore the best backyard offset smokers, there is a lot of information to consider. These tips will make narrowing down your choices for the best offset smoker under $1,000 quick and easy.
Types of Offset Smokers
There are two primary offset smoker types to know about. The traditional offset smoker is the most common type. It is important to monitor the temperature since uneven cooking can occur if you do not rotate the food throughout the cooking process.
The second type is the reverse flow offset smoker. With this type, you usually do not need to rotate the meat to ensure even cooking. This is because of its steel baffle plate that stops direct heat from getting to the meat.
What You Can Make Using an Offset Smoker
An offset smoker is an ideal device for a wide variety of meals. They allow you to prepare various slow and low meats. Examples include:
- Large pieces of meat
- Pork butt
The Features to Consider
There are five features that you must consider to make sure that you pick the best offset smoker. These include:
- Materials: Look at smokers that use a heavy-gauge metal. This will retain heat efficiently for an even heating environment. This material is also durable so that your smoker will last even with frequent use.
- Temperature gauges: When you smoke meats, you want to maintain a steady temperature. This feature ensures that you can easily monitor the temperature you are using to smoke meats.
- Cover: Having a cover will protect your smoker when you are not using it. This prevents rusting so that your smoker will last.
- Dampers and seals: When a smoker’s dampers and seals are high in quality, this ensures an efficient smoking environment. They will allow for improved smoke retention, greater temperature control, and better fuel efficiency.
- Sturdiness: You want a smoker that has strong wheels and legs. Ensure that the latches and hinges are durable so that they last with regular use.
Factors to Consider When Buying an Offset Smoker
In addition to the information above, there are some other factors to consider. Keeping this information in mind will make it easier to pick the offset smoker that will create the best meals.
Other Important Features to Consider
There are six additional features that you should explore. The information on these will help you to narrow down your choices. These features include:
Consider your preferred fuel source and how long you need to use your smoker to pick an optimal firebox size.
Take measurements of the area where you will place your smoker to ensure that it fits safely.
If you need to move your smoker around, you should be able to do this easily.
Cooking chamber size
If you entertain a lot, you will need a relatively large cooking chamber compared to people who primarily use their offset smoker to cook for their family.
Look for smokers that are easy to clean. Features like removable racks and materials that wipe down quickly are ideal.
Things like rib hooks, extra racks, and a weather guard can improve your smoking experience.
Advantages of Offset Smokers
Using an offset smoker comes with multiple advantages:
- You can cook multiple foods at the same time
- They are cost-effective
- Offset smokers usually last a long time with minimal maintenance
- You do not have to open the cooking chamber to add more wood chips or other fuel
- You can also use an offset smoker as a grill
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Buying an Offset Smoker
There are four questions you need to answer to make sure that you pick the best offset smoker. These include:
- What foods will you cook on your smoker?
- Which offset smoker features are the most important to you?
- What is your budget for buying an offset smoker?
- Where will you place your offset smoker?
Doubt in the choice? See our review on the best smokers on the market.
Providing your family and friends with delicious meals helps you to ensure that they are taken care of. There are many ways to do this, and an offset smoker is one of the best options because it is versatile.
With the information here, you have the knowledge that you need to pick the best offset smoker for your needs. It is important to fully evaluate all of the research, offset smoker reviews and other information that we provide so that once you make your final choice, you can be confident that it meets all of your needs.
All you have to do now is start the shopping process. Make note of the specifications and features that are the most important to you.
Compare this information to the offset smokers that you are considering. This will ensure that you pick the best one for your home.