10 Best Outdoor Pizza Ovens: Gas, Charcoal and Wood Pellet Ovens
Have you ever craved the tasty goodness of a pizza fresh from the pizza oven? Imagine sitting outside with some friends and pulling some of the most perfectly crafted pizzas from your very own backyard pizza oven.
For over 20 years, we at Smoky Steak Ranch have learning and studying ways to prepare foods in both classic and innovative ways. Outdoor pizza ovens have become more and more popular in recent times, and we have been researching the best outdoor pizza ovens for home use.
In order to enable you to find the perfect pizza oven for your family, we looked at Here is what we found to be the 10 best outdoor pizza ovens of 2020. Let’s get started!
- 1 10 Best-Rated Outdoor Pizza Ovens of 2020:
- 1.1 1. OONI PRO OUTDOOR PIZZA OVEN
- 1.2 2. KETTLEPIZZA DELUXE USA PIZZA OVEN KIT
- 1.3 3. CAMP CHEF ITALIA ARTISAN PIZZA OVEN
- 1.4 4. OONI 3 OUTDOOR PIZZA OVEN
- 1.5 5. NAPOLI BERTELLO OUTDOOR PIZZA OVEN
- 1.6 6. PIZZACRAFT PIZZAQUE PORTABLE OUTDOOR PIZZA OVEN (PC6500)
- 1.7 7. PIZZACRAFT PIZZERIA PRONTO PORTABLE OUTDOOR PIZZA OVEN (PC6000)
- 1.8 8. ROCCBOX PORTABLE OUTDOOR PIZZA OVEN
- 1.9 9. ZENVIDA GRILL TOP PIZZA OVEN
- 1.10 10. PIZZACRAFT PIZZAQUE DELUXE PIZZA OVEN (PC7001)
- 2 Factors to Consider When Buying an Outdoor Pizza Oven
- 3 Outdoor Pizza Oven – FAQ
- 4 Conclusion
Our Top Pick Outdoor Pizza Ovens
- Our Rating
- Cooking Space: 169 square inches
Fuel Source: wood, charcoal, pellets and gas (with the proper attachment purchased separately)
Cooking Temperature: 932°F
- Our Rating
- Expandable pizza oven insert fits 18.5” and 22.5” charcoal grills
Fuel Source: Charcoal or wood
Cooking Temperature: 900°F
In our pizza oven comparison, we consider the Ooni 3 outdoor pizza oven to be the best outdoor pizza oven for the money. With its large cooking space, quick heat up and its ability to cook your pizza in about a minute, you will be sure to enjoy becoming the go-to pizza chef for all of your friends and family.
Coming in at number 2 on our list is the Pizzacraft PizzaQue Deluxe conversion kit. An inexpensive alternative, this kit will fit on most kettle model grills. A phenomenal way to cook wood-fired pizzas at home on a budget.
Number 3 is the Napoli Bertello pizza oven. The versatility of being able to use either wood or gas to fuel this grill combined with the deep and wide cooking surface enables you to cook excellent pizzas. In addition, you will be able to cook just about anything else you can think of.
10 Best-Rated Outdoor Pizza Ovens of 2020:
- The insulated steel body and stone baking board mean optimum heat retention
- People are loving the fact that this can be transported with them on trips
- Easy to maintain and clean when not in use
- Consumers wish the opening and cooking surface were a little bigger so that cooking and turning the pizzas were easier
- Some buyers complained of varying temperatures of the stone causing burning and/or undercooked pizza crusts
- This oven heats up quickly and
- Easy to assemble and ready to use right away
- The accessories that are included with this kit make it much easier to cook pizzas right away
- There were some complaints that the uncooked dough sticks to the metal
- This is only a kit and is not the entire oven and you will need to be sure you have the correct charcoal grill
- Can be used on just about any surface without the surface getting hot
- This device retains heat very well for even cooking
- Small footprint allows it to be used anywhere you want it to
- This oven will take longer to heat up in colder weather
- Some consumers have complained about need to replace the regulator after using a year or so
- Easily set up and break down, hassle-free storage and transport
- Consumers are loving how quickly this oven heats up and cools down
- Cooks beautiful and tasty pizzas in about a minute
- The scoop spills pellets when you are scooping
- Pizza size is limited to 13 inches, and cannot load up toppings
- Consumers are loving the sturdy and high-quality build of this oven
- Others enjoy the versatility of this device, particularly the capability of cooking meats in it
- Extremely portable and very easy to move from place to place
- You may need to do a test run or two in order to perfect timing for cooking items
- Consumers complained that they would have liked more “tips & tricks” in the manual
- This oven hast several heat settings that can be adjusted by the control knob on the front of the oven
- Built-in thermometer to keep a close eye on the pizza oven temperature
- Extremely portable and sturdy that you can use just about anywhere
- Much smaller cooking space that many of the items on our list
- Construction is a bit thin and may subject the grill to rain, wind and other weather conditions that will effect the cooking temperature of the grill
- Easy to assemble and even simpler to use without the hassle of
- Perfect for artisan style pizzas using the two 14″ cooking stones included with purchase
- The rotating pizza stone has six grooves placed at regular intervals making it easy to rotate pizza while cooking
- Weather conditions, such as wind, may effect the cooking heat
- This oven does get extremely hot when in use, so please exercise caution when using
- Constructed with body insulation and outer silicon skin that reduces the risk of burns when touching the outside
- Consumers love how this product is versatile and portable
- Made of high quality stainless-steel for extensive durability
- Consumers would have liked if a peel pizza turner is included
- This oven is a bit more expensive than the others on our list
- Easy to use with your existing grill
- Ceramic stone included for perfect crust every time.
- Heats up quickly while distributing heat evenly for a great cook every time
- Some consumers have complained that it was difficult to get proper heat off of grill
- Others have commented that this item could be damaged easily
- This kit will work with most kettle grill models
- Enables you to get a perfect crust pizza that is full of flavor
- An inexpensive alternative to purchasing a stand alone pizza oven
- Some consumers have found it difficult to keep heat evenly distributed
- Others had mentioned that the converter piece could be damaged easily
Factors to Consider When Buying an Outdoor Pizza Oven
When reviewing your purchase options for the best outdoor pizza oven, you will need to consider and compare a few key items.
Traditional style pizza ovens use wood as their main fuel source, mainly because of how the high temperatures that wood can burn at.
However, newer versions of the pizza oven have been able to incorporate the use of other fuel sources to heat and cook the food.
Fuels such as wood pellets and propane are easier to use, provide less hassle to clean up and are typically more efficient that wood. In addition, these alternate fuel sources are easier to transport and store.
Being realistic about the amount of space you have to use and house your pizza oven is a huge aspect when shopping for your perfect device.
Pizza ovens come in a variety of sizes and cooking capacities, so you should be able to find a device that fits your current lifestyle and space allowances.
Larger ovens will allow larger possibilities like the type of food you are able to cook with it.
However, this is only realistic if you have the correct amount of space to cook effectively and safely.
You will need to determine if you intend on your pizza oven to be a permanent fixture in your back yard, or if you prefer to have the mobility to enable use in various different spaces.
If you will require space to store your oven, or intend to tote it along with you camping or for other events, looking at the portability of the oven is a key factor that will determine what product you will end up buying.
The design and material used to construct your pizza oven has a direct impact on the oven cooks as well as its sustainability.
With temperatures exceeding 400 degrees F, your ideal pizza oven should have a fully-insulated exterior.
This includes the hearth as well as the dome. This will allow the oven to retain the heat inside. By not allowing the heat to escape, you can prevent any burn hazard from the dome as well as keep the internal temperature from fluctuating.
Outdoor Pizza Oven – FAQ
Here are some questions that were asked often by consumers regarding outdoor pizza oven reviews.
Can I cook more than just pizza?
Many outdoor pizza ovens have the capacity to cook meat, vegetables, and even bread. This capability should be indicated on the box or in the product description.
How do I clean my pizza oven stone?
These pizza stones are typically porous and therefore should not be washed with soap or other detergents. Clean with water but it is best to ensure it is completely dry before using again. Alternatively, you can simply scrape off any debris and allows the heat inside the oven to kill any bacteria.
Is there a way to keep pizzas warm until they are all ready to eat?
While some larger or more permanent pizza ovens have a warming drawer to keep your pizza warm, none of the items on our list have this feature. These ovens cook pizzas in a matter of minutes so you should not wait long for the next pizza to be ready
Outdoor pizza ovens are a fun way to enjoy your favorite pizza at home. From our research, we consider the Ooni 3 to be the top-rated pizza oven that is available for purchase. This over gets tremendously hot and will cook your pizza in no time.
If this item is a bit expensive for you, consider purchasing the Pizzacraft PizzaQue Deluxe conversion kit for your grill. This inexpensive kit will turn your grill into its own pizza oven allowing you to enjoy pizza without hurting your budget.
For questions on these or any other outdoor pizza oven, feel free to contact us by visiting us at https://smokeysteakranch.com/ . Happy Grilling!