The 15 Best Pellet Smokers for the Money in 2020
You visited your friend’s house and saw his amazing pellet smoker. Now you want one. But you don’t want just any pellet smoker. You want the best pellet smoker that you can afford.
Now, you could spend a lot of time reading hundreds of pellet smoker reviews, or you could spend a few minutes going over this comprehensive guide that we have prepared.
The purpose of the guide is to give you an overall feel for what some of the top pellet smokers on the market are like with the end goal of putting you in a good position to make a conscientious decision when purchasing the best pellet smoker for your needs.
- 1 Top 3 Most Recommended Pellet Smokers
- 2 15 Best Pellet Smokers on the Market:
- 2.1 1. Traeger Grills TFB88PZBO Pro Series 34 Pellet Grill and Smoker
- 2.2 2. REC TEC Grills RT-590 Bundle
- 2.3 3. 2020 Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett Grill/Smoker with Cover
- 2.4 4. Pit Boss 700FB Pellet Grill
- 2.5 5. Z Grills 8-in-1 BBQ Smoker
- 2.6 6. Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill
- 2.7 7. Traeger Grills TFB57PZBO Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill and Smoker
- 2.8 8. Z Grills ZPG-7002B Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- 2.9 9. Traeger Grills Pro Series 575 Pellet Grill and Smoker
- 2.10 10. Char-Broil Big Easy TRU Infrared Smoker
- 2.11 11. Camp Chef Smoker Vault 24
- 2.12 12. Amazen Pellet Tube Smoker
- 2.13 13. MoJack 47102 Myron Mixon Pitmaster Q3 24-Inch Wood Pellet Grill/Smoker
- 2.14 14. Traeger Select Pellet Grill and Smoker
- 2.15 15. Camp Chef SmokePro Pellet Grill
- 3 Advantages and Disadvantages of Pellet Smokers
- 4 Pellet Smokers Compared to Other Types of Smokers
- 5 Things To Consider When Purchasing a Pellet Smoker
- 6 Other Pellet Smoker Brands
- 7 Best Smoker Pellets
- 8 Pellet Smoker Recipe
- 9 Making The Decision
Top 3 Most Recommended Pellet Smokers
- Traeger Grills TFB88PZBO Pro Series 34 Pellet Grill and Smoker
- Cooking area - 884 sq. in
- Hopper Capacity - 18lb
- REC TEC Grills RT-590 Stampede
- 772 sq. in. cooking area with optional second shelf
- Pellet Capacity: 30 pounds
15 Best Pellet Smokers on the Market:
The Traeger Grills TFB88PZBO is one of the top 5 best pellet smokers. It allows you to grill, bake, barbecue, smoke, roast and braise meats and other foods.
Due to the cooking area of this grill, it can accommodate nine racks of ribs or six whole chickens at the same time. It has a digital elite controller to ensure consistent cooking.
You can choose to cook items quickly or use the low and slow setting to smoke your foods. There is an LED display that lets you see the temperature at any time. This smoker only uses 100 percent hardwood pellets. This ensures consistent smoking and a wood-fired flavor for your foods.
- One switch turns the smoker on and off
- The porcelain grill grates are easy to clean
- This grill has locking wheels so that it is easy to move around
- It may take longer when cooking over 330 degrees Fahrenheit
This is one of the best pellet smokers for the money. You can cook a variety of foods with precise consistency in the temperature. It is also the ideal size for a small patio or a larger outdoor space.
Don’t be fooled by the word in the description of this smoker. It weighs about 100 pounds and has the capability of holding 30 pounds of pellets. Despite its size, it is still portable. The legs fold up, so you can take it with you.
This model can reach up to 500 plus degrees. It can very easily adjust the temperature in 5° increments. It is definitely a great product and can be used for backyard cooking, camping, tailgating, and much more.
- Great Temperature Control. One of the best features of this smoker is temperature control. It can grill meat at up to 500°, but you can easily smoke other food at much lower temperatures.
- Easy to Transport. Since the legs fold, you can pack up the smoker, put it in the back of your pickup or in the trunk, and take it wherever you’re headed.
- There aren’t really any cons with this smoker. Overall, it just works great. However, it has been noted that you need to be a little bit careful when grabbing the handle to move it. The wheels may slide out because of the heavyweight.
If you want to deliver fantastic food to friends and family as well as look like a boss while grilling, this is the model for you. When looking at pellet smoker grills reviews, you will see time and again that people think this product is amazing, awesome, and outstanding. Just be ready for how heavy the product is. But it’s well worth the weight.
The Green Mountain Grills Pellet Grill is the best small pellet smoker because you can use it at home when you are camping or even on a road trip. This is a highly versatile pellet grill and it is WiFi-enabled.
There is a mobile application that you can use with Android or iOS. It allows you to monitor and control your grill via the included WiFi. You can change the temperature and check to ensure that it is within your desired range.
The meat probe makes it easy to ensure that right temperature when you are cooking. It also has a thermal sensor for additional continuous monitoring as you cook.
- You can use this grill for slow smoking with an even temperature
- The smoke remains contained in the grill
- You can adjust the temperature as you are cooking
- There may be hot spots sometimes
- Hopper capacity is only 9 lbs
This is one of the best budget pellet smokers for regular smoker users and people who are new to this style of cooking. It is portable so that you can take it with you. The thermal sensor ensures that you are always cooking at the intended temperature.
The Pit Boss 700FB Pellet Grill is one of the best BBQ pellet smokers because they burn system features digital control. This ensures that you can choose a precise temperature. It is also easy to adjust the temperature as you use the grill.
All you need are wood pellets to fuel this grill. There is no need for propane or electricity to get the right amount of heat. The grids are cast iron to ensure durability and even heating. They have a porcelain coating for enhanced durability and easier cleaning.
The exhaust system and dome heat shield allow you to maintain consistent temperatures. This remains true when you are operating at the maximum temperature.
Check out the full review of Pit Boss 700FB
- You can sear steaks and fish with the sliding plate
- This grill is simple to assemble
- It is easy to load the pellets into the grill
- You need a screwdriver to open the grill vent if you want a searing finish
This grill has a very large surface area. The cast iron grids are coated in porcelain for easy cleaning and even cooking. You use 100 percent natural wood pellets for a savory flavor of everything that you cook.
The Z Grills 8-in-1 BBQ Smoker allows you to grill, bake, braise, smoke, roast, and barbecue your food using a single grill. It generates heat using only hardwood pellets. This provides a savory smoky flavor to everything that you cook on this grill.
This grill includes a warming rack and the main rack so that you can easily separate the foods that you are cooking. This smoker features a smart digital controller.
This allows you to maintain a temperature within 20 degrees Fahrenheit. A simple dial is all it takes to control the temperature.
- Putting this smoker together is easy
- The food cooks at a consistent temperature
- You can put whole chickens into the smoker
- The thermostat may not be precisely accurate
This smoker is a 7-in-1. You can use a variety of cooking methods so that your foods come out exactly as you want them. It also has a large hopper capacity and cooking space.
It’s not difficult to see why the Camp Chef is one of the best pellet smokers on the market today. It offers lots of different features that make smoking and grilling easy and fun.
I think anyone looking to up their grilling game cannot go wrong with the Camp Chef PG24DLX pellet smoker.
I’ve tried the set-it-and-forget-it temperature control starting at 160F, for re-heating or smoking pre-cooked meat, up to 500F for fast, crispy, smoked chicken. My pork ribs, slathered with my secret sauce, came out tender, juicy and smoked to the bone at around 350F.
Temperature tweaks are push-button simple. You get an authentic barbecue flavor, and the unit is versatile enough to be used to smoke, bake, grill, or sear.
You have a very large cooking area and the temperature ranges from 160° for smoking all the way up to 500°F for grilling. This is a dependable grill that comes with a one year warranty and applies to the contiguous U.S. states only.
570 square inches of grill area was more than enough for a six-person meal. Clean-up is a breeze too. Pull the ash cleanout lever and it’s ready for your next cook.
Something you’re going to like about this unit right away is that in order to turn it on, all you need to do is hit a button. It is easy to change the temperature and maintain a consistent temperature.
This model is easy to setup and easy to clean. You don’t even have to take the grill apart to get it cleaned thanks to the special drop-down cleaning system.
- Lots of Cooking Space. There are 560 in.³ of cooking space on the upper rack of this grill.
- Easily Control Temperature. In addition to easily controlling the temperature with the knobs, it comes with a stainless food probe to help you determine the internal temperature of a piece of meat.
- Grill Grate Is Easy to Clean.
- Quick and Easy Assembly. You can watch a video to see how to set up the smoker on the manufacturer’s website.
- This grill delivers every time. When you look at reviews from individuals who have used it, the only time they were disappointed is when something broke during shipping.
This is a great smoker for beginners who are willing to take the time to understand how pellet smokers work. You can follow the instructions in the video provided on the manufacturer’s website to see how to put it together.
It is also great for people who have been pellet smoking for years. It has a huge cooking surface, which is perfect for entertaining large groups of friends.
This is an excellent family-size grill that is simple to use and maintain. Its stable digital temperature control and easy-to-clean features really made an impression on me.
For my money, the Camp Chef PG24DLX Deluxe – Featuring Smart Grill Technology is one of the best pellet smokers. It’s easy to use, it’s intuitive, and it produces a quality end product.
Talk about the best pellet grill and smoker and “Traeger” is bound to come up. The Traeger Grills TFB57PZBO is a compact griller/smoker, but its performance lives up to the brand’s reputation.
I have used it to BBQ, roast, and smoke and it performed flawlessly with +/-15F temperature stability up to 450F. There was ample room on the grill, 572 square inches, for meat, veggies and side dishes for a five-person cookout.
Ease-of-use starts with auto-start ignition and porcelain-covered grates for easy clean-up. At only 103 lbs., move it to the optimal spot on any deck or haul it to your favorite picnic site.
I did not find fancy cleaning aids on this grill, but the usual small whisk broom and vacuum cleaner are all you need for ash removal.
This lightweight, family griller/smoker makes my best pellet smoker list easily with aesthetics and quality construction I’d expect from Traeger. I like how it handles, its stability and how everything I cooked turned out perfectly.
I was pleasantly surprised at the performance of this modestly-priced pellet smoker/grill ZPG-7002B from Z Grills and the little extras. It’s a very easy-to-use roasting, grilling, braising and baking machine with an impressive 700 square inches total of rack area.
The auto-start ignition, automated pellet feed system and digitally controlled temperature range of 180F to 475F is all any beginner needs to turn out down-to-the-bone, savory meat dishes.
Forget about complications from a rotisserie as its fan-forced convection ideally distributes the heat. Grilling salmon to perfection is tricky without precise temperature control, but the ZPG-7002B did a beautiful job on my fillets.
Although its aesthetics – it’s plain black – are not remarkable, and there is no meat temperature probe, based on price and performance this grill should make anyone’s best pellet grill and smoker list. The large rack area makes it ideal for everyday family meals or when you have company over.
Traeger Grills Pro Series 575 is a great model for those who want to start up the smoker, add some meat, and let the work be done for them. It is also extremely versatile, allowing you to grill, smoke, roast, and bake.
It is perfect for individual households, college students, and even tailgating. And it’s a great option for first timers as well as those who have experience using pellet smokers. The entire system was designed in order to make smoking fun and easy. Cleanup is easy, getting everything going is easy, and food turns out great every time.
The main cooking area 575 in.², which means you can cook a lot at one time. Since it uses convection technology, the smoky hot air can circulate around the food in order to cook everything evenly.
One of the most outstanding features of this smoker is its digital thermostat controller. It is also small enough to be used for family gatherings but large enough to be used for tailgating parties. Another top-notch feature is that you can control and monitor this smart pellet grill through your smartphone and even Alexa.
With its 575 in.² of the cooking space, you can cook a lot at one time. It is made from steel and has a porcelain coated grilling grate.
- Digital Thermostat. The digital thermostat controller is easy to use and allows you to control the temperature in a precise way.
- Sturdy Construction. Since this smoker is made of steel, you do not to have to worry about replacing it anytime soon.
- Get It Going and Walk Away. Because this model has an auger that will automatically feed the pellets into the firepot, it is going to deliver consistent heat. You can get the thing going and then walk away.
- Works with Alexa and controls via smartphone app
- Small Hopper. Most everyone would agree that this smoker is pretty outstanding. However, if I still said that it needed anything, I would say that it needs a larger hopper. That way, it would hold more pellets, and there wouldn’t be issues with the cooking process stopped partway through.
- The price is high, but this grill ablosutely worth it.
This is best pellet smoker for the money if you are a newbie but want to cook like a pro. It is super easy to use and allows you to set up the whole system and then walk away.
It has an electronic autostart ignition, which means you don’t even have to start a fire. Just plug it in, do a little prep work, add some pellets, and it will not be long before you have some delicious food to enjoy with your family or serve to your friends.
One of the things that I noticed right away about the Char-Broil Big Easy TRU Infrared Smoker is its versatility. This device lets you smoke, grill, and roast. It’s also versatile because the internal smoker uses pellets or wood chips, and then in the outer and inner wall, there is a propane burner.
This model uses a unique cooking system called TRU-infrared. What this basically does is keep your food moist. It limits the flow of hot air and uses radiant heat to directly cook food.
The temperature can be changed, but the meat is going to be able to retain its moisture. The unique TRU-infrared technology cooks meat in an even way and helps to retain moisture. The great thing is there are no flare-ups.
There’s a roasting basket for ribs, poultry, and other meat. The roasting basket can hold up to 25 pounds. The cooking area was grilling can be done has 180 in.². You can adjust the temperature, which ranges from 9000 to 18,000 BTUs, in the smoker box in order to add flavor.
- Easy to Assemble. It only takes about half an hour to put the smoker together when using the easy to follow instructions.
- Quick Cooking Time. The unique design of this smoker cuts cooking time. You can do a chicken in under an hour.
- Good for Cold-Weather. This is a great smoker for those who live in Arctic climates. Even during subzero winter temperatures, entire turkeys can be cooked evenly.
- Easy Drop-in Loading. You will not lose heart when roasting.
- You have to pay attention to the cooking time or else the meat will dry out. This is an extremely fast smoker, so be sure to set a timer or keep an eye on it.
- Not the sturdiest. Many seem to have a problem with the paint flaking off and the overall unit being a bit flimsy.
After looking at a lot of pellets smoker grill reviews, it is easy to see that this is a pretty decent model. It is just so functional.
So if you are looking to purchase something that is more than a pellet smoker, this is the product for you. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully when assembling it and be sure to gauge cooking time since this is a fast one.
The Camp Chef Smoker Vault 24″ is the best vertical pellet smoker because it uses smart smoke technology. The ash cleanout system ensures easy cleanup after using this smoker. It also has a grease management system to ensure even cooking.
Easily determine how many pellets are present thanks to the pellet hopper window. This smoker provides even smoke distribution and heat due to the continuous fan. This smoker has wheels, so it is easy to move around. It is 28 inches tall, making it easy to fit larger cuts of meat into the smoker.
- It has a bottle opener
- There is a built-in sensor gauge
- The digital controller maintains cooking temperature
- It can take a little time to get used to a variety of features
This grill can handle a variety of meats and other foods at the same time. The multiple racks, grates and hooks lets you customize your smoking experience.
Turn any grill into a smoker with the Amazen Pellet Tube Smoker. This allows you to add the smoky flavor you want to your food while cooking outside, even if you do not have a smoker.
Nothing could be easier than operating this tube. Simply fill it up with wood grade wood pellets, light it on fire, and let it burn.
You are left with that blue smoke that adds an authentic flavor to your food. This is a perfect addition to an electric smoker, especially since the complaint that some people have about an electric smoker is that it does not give their meat that intense smoky flavor you get with charcoal or wood.
This is a lightweight and portable smoke generator. It’s great for hot and cold smoking. It’s flexible enough that you can use it with any smoker or grill.
This is a great device to use in conjunction with your smoker if you feel that it does not produce enough smoke on its own. It has a very small profile and takes up little space on your grates.
- Easy to use. Simply insert the pellets into the metal tube, ignite the pellets, put them into your smoker, and watch the flavor of your meat intensify.
- Easy cleanup. Once you’re done with the device, simply empty out any remaining pellets, clean it with warm water, and store it for your next use.
- Versatility. This product is exceptionally versatile. It can turn any grill into a smoker and can enhance the flavor produced by your electric grill.
- Not a Traditional Smoker. This device is not a traditional smoker. It is a good accessory to improve the flavor your smoker provides or to turn your grill into a smoker. But it cannot stand on its own.
- Burns Out. Probably my biggest complaint with this unit is that if you do not get a good enough burn, the pellets can actually burn out.
If you’re looking for a complete electric smoker, this is obviously not it. However, if you’re looking for something that can add a little bit of kick to your electric smoker, this is the accessory for you. It’s a must-have for someone wants to get into smoking food at a very low price.
Once you get the MoJack up and going, you are going to see that it is definitely designed for a champion smoker. It is a large grill that allows you to smoke, bake, and grill.
Even though it weighs nearly 100 pounds, it has heavy-duty rubber wheels that allow you to push it easily from one place to another. It also has locking casters that swivel to give the smoker stability and it makes it easy to move.
This smoker has a 24-inch barrel. Has 418 in.² of cooking area, which means that you can cook a lot at once. You can definitely use it for a family barbecue, but it is also great for large gatherings. Easily read the temperature and control it with the LED digital temperature control.
The MoJack has a huge barrel with lots of cooking space. With the 24 inch model, you are going to have 418 in.² to cook on. You will easily be able to read and monitor the temperature with the LED digital temperature control. This model has a bottom storage rack, which makes a great place for you to put extra pellets or tools that you will use for cooking.
- Looks Attractive. It has a high quality paint job and red color that makes it look appealing.
- Easy Installation. It takes about an hour for it to be put together and then you’re ready to start smoking, grilling or baking.
- Good Customer Support. This product is made from a well-known company, and they offer great support when needed.
- Temperature Display. There is no guesswork when it comes to figuring out the temperature of this smoker. The LED display makes it easy to see.
- Seems like lots of people have little problems with the smoker. Nothing that can’t be fixed, but small complaints like the lid not sitting perfectly and places where the porcelain-coated steel grates had the coating missing.
This is a great option for individuals who are pretty serious about grilling, smoking, and baking. It’s not necessarily the best option for individuals who are just getting started or for those who are going to make small amounts of meat.
The Traeger Select Pellet Grill and Smoker can accommodate up to five whole chickens and 20 burgers at one time. Even at full capacity, this smoker ensures precise temperatures within 20 degrees.
There is an LED display that allows you to easily monitor the temperature. Just turn the dial to adjust the temperature.
This smoker lets you smoke, roast, barbecue, bake or braise a variety of foods. Since this grill uses 100 percent hardwood pellets, everything you cook has a smoky flavor. The grill grate is in three pieces and it is made of porcelain. This ensures optimal durability and it is easy to wipe clean after you use it.
- It has wheels, so it is easy to move around
- This smoker has side shelves that are stainless steel
- There is storage space below the grill
- It may take a few hours to assemble
This is the best pellet smoker for home use because it is versatile. It is not too big, so even in a small space, you can fit the smoker. This smoker ensures optimal consistency in your food temperatures.
The Camp Chef SmokePro Pellet Grill is among the 10 best pellet smokers. The ash cleanout cup saves you hours of cleaning since you will not have to use a vacuum to remove the ashes after using the grill. This grill also comes with a sear box.
This grill also has a hopper cleanout system. This allows you to maintain this element without having to take care of it manually.
This grill comes with an internal meat temperature probe. This allows you to maintain a constant temperature so that your meat and other foods come out exactly as you intend.
- You can use this grill in cold temperatures and in the rain
- This grill has a higher maximum temperature range compared to similar models
- There is a side shelf already included
- Assembly may take a little longer than estimated
As one of the best affordable pellet smokes, this grill is easy to use. The large cooking area and variety of features make it simple to cook meats and other foods exactly to your specifications.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Pellet Smokers
When you look at pellet smoker reviews, you see that the people who like them really love them. And the people who don’t have some legitimate complaints. The following are a list of the pros and cons of using pellet smokers.
- These are easy to use. You set the temperature and forget about it. You can change the temperature easily
- Pellets are relatively inexpensive and easy to purchase.
- The grills require very little maintenance.
- They are generally easy to reload, allowing you to smoke your meat for a long period of time.
- Are not heavy and can be easily transported.
- They produce little to no ash.
- Smaller pellet smokers have a low capacity loader, and so you constantly need to add more pellets.
- They are not well insulated.
- You are forced to use pellets, and in some areas your choice in pellets is limited.
- May not create enough smoke to give you a strong barbecue flavor.
- The mechanical auger may jam or break.
- The device relies on electricity to function.
Pellet Smokers Compared to Other Types of Smokers
The top pellet smokers on the market are ingenious in their design, and they have won the loyalty of many smokers.
Still, some people prefer to use a traditional charcoal smoker, a propane smoker, or an electric smoker. Here are how these units stack up to one another.
The best pellet grill smoker has the benefit of being easy to light and easy to use. With a pellet smoker, you put the pellets in the hopper, light the heating unit, and you don’t have to worry about it.
Conversely, with a charcoal smoker, you have the struggle to light the charcoal, and then throughout the entire cooking time, you need to check the backup on the unit to make sure that it’s functioning properly.
A charcoal unit is going to provide a more powerful authentic smoke flavor when compared to a pellet smoker.
Electric pellet smoker reviews show that gas smokers and pellet smokers are comparable in that they both can be set to a particular temperature and left alone.
The one advantage that a pellet smoker has over a gas smoker is that with a pellet smoker, you can actually say that you are cooking with wood because the pellets are compressed wood.
An electric smoker and a pellet smoker, according to the reviews, both allow you to set the temperature and walk away. However, the flavor that you’re going to get from a pellet smoker is a lot stronger as compared to an electric one.
Pellet smokers allow you a little bit more versatility than an electric smoker, whereas electric smokers are better at maintaining and controlling the temperature inside the cook box.
Things To Consider When Purchasing a Pellet Smoker
The first thing to consider before purchasing a pellet smoker is your budget. This will allow you to buy the best pellet smoker for the money.
If you are a beginner, you do not need to get an expensive unit in order to produce results. However, if you have some experience and you want to take your smoking to the next level, you may look into a more expensive model with the goal of getting some of the features you want.
How much food are you going to smoke? This is important because some of the top pellet smokers are relatively large.
And if you’re not looking at smoking a lot of meat, you might purchase a unit that’s too big. Conversely, if you buy a unit that’s too small, you are going to be frustrated because you’re going to make some delicious meat just not as much as you need.
You want your smoker to retain heat and to maintain a constant temperature. If you purchase something that’s inexpensive, yet made with a thin metal, you’re going to regret it because you’re going to be constantly fighting with the temperature.
You could purchase the best smoker pellets, but if you don’t have a high-quality smoker, it is all for not.
A Quality Auger
At the end of the day, the functionality of your pellet smoker depends on how well the auger works. Do not go cheap on the auger. If you do, it’ll jam, it’ll break, and your unit will not work.
Other Pellet Smoker Brands
Yoder is a company that believes that there’s nothing wrong with a little competition, especially when you are competing at something that matters, like smoking meat. Has made a name for itself by producing some of the best pellet grill smokers to be used in competitions.
Yoder understands that when it comes to smoking meat, competition could be competing against other pit master’s for a large prize or simply competing against your next-door neighbor to see who can make the best piece of meat.
When you read Yoder pellet smoker reviews, you can see that this dedication to excellence and desire to bring only the best smokers to market has won Yoder a considerable amount of praise.
Has created smokers that weigh from between 255 pounds all the way over to 1,200 pounds. The products they make are designed to last a lifetime.
Camp Chef Smokers
Camp Chef understands that great food will always bring people together.
For this reason, for the past two decades, they have worked hard to create smokers that show they understand that there is a better way to cook outdoors.
The products they produce go from the very simple to the most involved and versatile cooking systems on the market. They understand what it means to enjoy food in the great outdoors thanks in part to their headquarters being located in Cache Valley, Utah.
All you have to do is look at Camp Chef pellet grill and smoker reviews to know that they have been able to consistently produce a product their customers enjoy.
Green Mountain Grills
The people at Green Mountain have found something that they really love and put their hearts into it.
They realize that for them grilling with pellets is so much better than using charcoal or gas.
After working with pellets for a few years so, it became apparent to them that a good pellet smoker was going to need some improvements, and so they made their own.
Now, their products as attested to by Green Mountain pellet smoker reviews, are some of the top 10 electric smokers that use pellets on the market.
Their goal is to produce the highest quality without charging their customers at the highest price. Their commitment to offering their customers five-star customer care has won of them a loyal following.
Best Smoker Pellets
You could buy yourself the top-rated electric smoker that uses pellets, read an in-depth pellet smoker review, buy the most expensive model out there, and still end up with disappointing results all because you had the wrong pellets. The following are a few tips on getting the best pellets for your smoker.
Choosing the right pellets comes down to understanding how the flavor from your pellet is going to work with your meat.
Apple pellets are going to add the best flavor to poultry or pork. This is because apple pellets have a very fruity smoke and work well with mild meats. They even add a nice flavor to a smoke-roasted apple pie.
Cherry pellets have a powerful flavor. Use these if you are going to cook beef ribs. If you couple this with a nice rub, you won’t have to worry about barbecue sauce.
Hickory pellets are some of the most popular pellets used in barbecue. Has a strong yet pleasant flavor that really adds to the quality of your meat. If you feel that hickory is too overpowering, why not mix it with a little apple to give a sweeter taste?
Pellet Smoker Recipe
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (or bacon fat)
- ¼ C butter, melted
- ¼ C oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 C buttermilk
- 1 C cornmeal
- ½ C white sugar
- 1 C unbleached white flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat the Pellet Grill to 375 F*
- Grease an 8” cast iron frying pan with bacon fat and set inside the smokers while it pre-heats.
- Mix together the melted butter, oil, eggs and buttermilk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, white flour, salt, and baking soda.
- With a few swift strokes combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. The batter will be a bit lumpy.
- Pour batter into the hot cast iron pan and place on the lower rack of the pre-heated smoker. Close the lid, and bake for 35 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread should come out clean when the bread is done.
Making The Decision
It is decision time. Our goal throughout this entire review was to give you an overall feel for the different pellet smokers available, allowing you to choose top pellet smoker for your needs.
We’ve looked at electric pellet smoker reviews, we’ve examined the pros and cons of certain models and even threw in a delicious cornbread recipe.
So what is the best pellet smoker?
Well, the best pellet smoker is the one that works for you, fits your budget, and gives you the taste you like. We want you to take some time and research the models that caught your eye. If you’re going to purchase a pellet smoker, it’s better to buy it online.
You get a better deal, you’re able to read other reviews to get a feel for what other people think about the product, and you get it delivered to your home.
Now it’s up to you. Get out there, buy yourself a smoker, grab a slab of meat, mix together some cornbread, and invite friends to enjoy a delicious smoked meal. You’ll be the most popular guy in town.