10 Best-Rated Small Propane Grills in 2020
Passionate grillers will want to be able to practice their craft anywhere, even with limited space. A small gas grill may be just what you need to save room, and we’re here to give you some of the best recommendations, even among all the other small bbq grill reviews.
You don’t deserve to settle for just any old grill, and you want your grill to be able to perform as well as the big guys. What you want is the best bbq propane grill for small spaces, and we’re about to let you in on the top picks.
- 1 10 Top-Rated Small Propane Grills:
- 1.1 1. Weber Spirit II E-210 Small Liquid Propane Grill
- 1.2 2. Char-Broil Classic 280 2-Burner Liquid Propane Gas Grill
- 1.3 3. Cuisinart CGG-059 Grillster Small Portable Gas Grill
- 1.4 4. Weber Q1000 Small Liquid Propane Grill
- 1.5 5. Cuisinart CGG-180 Petit Gourmet Gas Grill
- 1.6 6. Royal Gourmet 22-Inch Small Tabletop Gas Grill
- 1.7 7. Masterbuilt Smoke Hollow Small Propane Gas Grill
- 1.8 8. Char-Broil Performance 300 Small Cabinet Propane Gas Grill
- 1.9 9. Giantex Propane Small Tabletop Gas Grill
- 1.10 10. Napoleon TQ285X-BL Portable Propane Grill
- 2 Making the Decision
10 Top-Rated Small Propane Grills:
The Weber Spirit E-210 is worthy of being called the best small weber propane grill. It comes with a renowned Gs4 grilling system that includes everything from instant ignition and two powerful burners to flavorizer bars and a helpful grease-catching tray underneath the cook box.
The 57-inch tall grill sports an open cart design and comes in four different colors. The material is durable, the grill is easy to clean, and the gas flow is consistent.
There’s enough cooking space to cook for a small crowd, and the tool hooks and open compartments make it easy to stay organized and access all your grilling necessities.
This grill supports a standard 20-pound liquid propane gas tank, and the fuel gauge is easy to read, so you know when to replace it.
- Easy to assemble
- The ignition system is very reliable
- Folding side tables allow you to save even more space.
- Brass material exposes you to lead, so you’ll want to wash your hands after every use.
- Open compartment risks your items getting wet or dirty.
The Char-Broil Classic 280 is a small outdoor propane barbecue grill that you can count on to give you a great cooking experience while saving the space you need to.
The two powerful burners ignite immediately, thanks to the reliable Piezo ignition system, and the in-line burners provide powerful gas heating that’s easy to control.
The porcelain-coated grates are easy to clean, the side burner is fantastic for making extras on the side, and additional metal shelves come with the grill to give you even more storage and preparation space.
- Material is easy to clean and stands up against harsh elements.
- The combination of grilling space, side burner, and metal shelves give you a lot of space to prep and cook for such a small grill.
- The stainless steel burners are reliable and offer easy heat control.
- The grill is a tad difficult to assemble.
To say the Cuisinart CGG-059 Grillster is just a good small tabletop gas grill would be an understatement. This tabletop grill is lightweight, portable, powerful, and requires zero assemblies to get started.
Coming in at only 10 pounds, this grill comes with a large carrying handle and foldable legs so that you can take this grill with you anywhere like a suitcase.
The burners ignite at the push of a button, and in less than ten minutes, you’ll be grilling to heart’s content.
The lid opens and rotates to give you full access to the cooking space, and the grates are dishwasher safe, so you won’t have to spend any time scrubbing.
- The portable design allows you to take it anywhere.
- The grates can be put into the dishwasher.
- Heats and cools very quickly.
- When closed, the lid isn’t big enough to work with bigger meats like whole hams, for example.
Next on this list for those looking for the best propane grill for a small patio is the robust but portable Weber Q1000. This compact patio grill comes with a powerful burner and a push-button ignition to grill your meats thoroughly, though you do have to give it about 10 minutes to preheat.
The grill is built to last, manufactured with cast aluminum and reinforced nylon to withstand external damage. The grates are easy to clean, and the grill is easy to carry.
The Q1000 works mainly with disposable liquid propane canisters, making it ideal for camping trips and beach dates, but can also work with a 20-pound propane tank.
- Uses disposable cylinders or a tank.
- Portable design for easy transportation.
- Removable catch pan and grates that fit right in the sink for washing.
- The pressure regulator may be faulty.
- Must preheat for 10-15 minutes before you can start grilling.
- It doesn’t seem to have a built-in thermometer.
The Cuisinart Petit Gourmet grill is the perfect mini outdoor gas grill and space-saver. It can be carried with you anywhere like a briefcase and features extendable legs for setting it up in any area, with or without a table.
The single burner provides effective grilling across a space that cooks for about four to six people, and the twist-to-start ignition makes it simple to use.
A built-in temperature gauge allows precise heat control and gives you a consistently accurate read.
The 17-pound grill is durable and comes in multiple color options to give the feeling that this mini outdoor gas grill is manufactured well and meant to last.
- Has the option to function as a tabletop or freestanding grill.
- Portable design makes it ideal for camping trips or adventures on the road.
- Grating can be washed by hand or sent through the dishwasher.
- The dripping tray is small and might not catch all the grease from your meats.
You might not see the Royal Gourmet on other small gas grill reviews, but that’s because of its unique cooking space. The two burners come to 17,000 BTU in total and heat the non-stick porcelain-coated griddle, rather than a grate, for powerful cooking.
The gas regulator that the unit comes with can connect to a one-pound tank and provides efficient gas flow to the griddle, allowing you to be able to use the product multiple times without needing to replace the tank.
While you cook, the grease cup catches any excess oil and can be cleaned and replaced with ease. Not to mention, the griddle itself is a breeze to clean too.
- Adjustable burners for easy heat control.
- Ample cooking space with a sleek non-stick surface.
- Side grease cup catches extra oil while you cook.
- There’s no lid on this unit.
- The griddle is a bit shaky.
The Masterbuilt Smoke Hollow is among the best home grills on the market for its power and portability.
Its single U-shaped burner powers on at 10,000 BTU, making for a quick warm-up and fast cooking times. The ignition is as easy as pushing a button, and the 305 inches of cooking space warm up fast over the powerful burner. The Smoke Hollow also comes with a warming rack to keep your food warm.
The tabletop design makes this an ideal grill for saving space and the lid locks so that you can store it away or take it with you anywhere. The carrying handles make that easy.
- Super quick warm-up.
- Sleek and portable design.
- Ample cooking space and simple ignition.
- Drip tray doesn’t lock in place and may slide around while carrying.
- U-shape burner design means that some cooking spots may be warmer than others
The Char-Broil Performance 300 is a small portable propane grill with all the works, including two powerful burners, 300 square inches of cooking space, a warming rack, side shelves, and a storage cabinet. The grill cooks about 16 burgers, and the racks are rust-resistant cast iron.
The electric ignition is simple, just a button to push, and it starts up immediately. A lid-mounted temperature gauge allows you to keep track of the heat, and the warming rack will enable you to keep things from getting cold while you’re cooking other food.
There are two metal side shelves for extra prep space, and the grill itself sits atop a storage cabinet with four casters on the bottom so you can move the unit around with ease.
- Iron grates are resistant to rust.
- The storage cabinet allows for keeping the gas tank and other grilling accessories safe.
- Top has a built-in heat shield so you won’t burn your hands when touching the lid.
- Food sticks to the grating, so you’ll want to oil up the grill and let it cook for a moment before putting any food on top.
The Giantex Tabletop Gas Grill is more than deserving of its spot amongst other high-quality gas grills for camping, backyard-cooking, or any other outdoor grilling pursuits. It’s a lightweight grill, at only 26 pounds, and features a locking lid and foldable legs to take it with you wherever you need to go.
The durable stainless steel lid protects from heat and the unit as a whole is sturdy and easy to maintain.
The two burners have a combined power of 20,000 BTU but are independently adjustable for controlling the heat how you want it.
The thermometer is built-in, and the grease collector hides underneath, giving this unit the features that you need without needing to take up any extra space.
- Independently adjustable burners.
- Portable design, complete with locking lid and foldable legs.
- It comes with a hose, so you won’t have to worry about purchasing it separately. It also works with disposable propane cylinders.
- On the heavy side for a portable grill.
- Some may find the grating spaced out a bit too much.
For our last compact propane grill that we recommend, the Napoleon Portable Grill earns the closing spot. This portable grill is a free-standing small gas grill that you don’t have to carry because the cart folds and rolls with you like a suitcase on all-terrain wheels.
Two burners heat the 285 square-inch cooking space with 12,000 BTU of combined cooking power. The design comes made to resist wind, so after you ignite the burners, nothing can knock the flame down.
It also comes with an accu-probe temperature gauge built right into the grill that displays consistently accurate readings.
The cooking grids are porcelain zed cast iron and heat your food of choice evenly. There are also side shelves included for extra preparation and serving space.
- Super easy to assemble.
- Highly resistant to strong winds and made of sturdy material.
- The cart the grill comes on is foldable and easy to store and take from place to place.
- Airflow isn’t the best, so it’s a bit difficult to maintain the right temperature.
Making the Decision
Now that you’ve seen nearly a dozen small propane gas grills, I’m sure you’re wondering which one is the best small propane gas grill. Of course, while every patio size gas grill will meet various preferences, our top recommendation from this list would be the Cuisinart Grillster.
As previously mentioned, the grill only weighs ten pounds, is convenient to clean by being dishwasher friendly, gives you plenty of cooking space and power, and requires no assembly. It has a great deal of positive customer reception and is the perfect patio size gas grill for saving space and taking with you anywhere.
If you want something free-standing, however, we’d go with the Char-Broil Classic 280, which comes with a side-burner, metal shelves for extra storage, and can still be wheeled around. Even if it’s a bit challenging to assemble, it performs beautifully.
All things considered, if you’re trying to save space but still want to cook for the crowd, the best small propane gas grill is most likely on this list. Just remember to stay safe always, and grill with care.